Bent Tongue.

Wkkessler

I just returned to PA from a trip to Florida and noticed the tongue on My 2019 Fuel 305 was bent upwards about 3" right at where the tongue meets the frame cross member.
I contacted Lippert and they denied my request for repair. The reason was age.Has anyone else experienced a similar problem.
Normal highway driving and not over loaded.
Was not carrying anything in the toyhauler section.

Attachments

• 20240201_160627.jpg
    20240201_160627.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • 20240201_133600.jpg
    20240201_133600.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest that you find a big rig trailer shop. They would probably be able to help you. Perhaps straighten and beef up the frame.

Peace
Dave

Dahillbilly

I agree with Cookie, that's going to take major repairs at a shop that has the knowledge & equipment to make frame repairs.

rhodies1

What strength are your torsion bars. Maybe too strong for your need. I have a friend who bent his hitch on the truck. Torsion bars were too strong for the hitch.
You maybe put too much tension on the trailer frame. Just a suggestion.

hoefler

A toy hauler with out anything in the back, can easily be overloaded in the front when loaded for travel. I would bet you had way more than 15%
tongue weight. Still with in gross weight numbers, but exceeded tongue weight capacity.

sengli

Holy cow! I have never seen anything like that ever. That looks like it could be dangerous to continue to use without repair.

rhodies1

I would contact your NTSB and send them pics. This is a real safety concern. Maybe they have had other reports in the same issue.

Wkkessler

What strength are your torsion bars. Maybe too strong for your need. I have a friend who bent his hitch on the truck. Torsion bars were too strong for the hitch.
You maybe put too much tension on the trailer frame. Just a suggestion.
1200 lb torsion bars. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense thank you! My concern is the box tubing lippert used doesn't seem heavy enough.
Looks like maybe 3/32".
Very disappointed in Lippert for not standing behind this.
it is a 2019 and they rejected it because of the age. I would think a $40,000 unit would hold up longer than that.

rhodies1

Are you saying 1200 lb torsion bars or 12000 lb bars. If they are 12000 lbs capacity . I would say they are too strong and the torque is bending your hitch.

rhodies1

Nope. Too much torque with those heavy torsion bars. They won’t have any spring to them and the tongue of your trailer is taking the flex. Contact the company ETrailer and ask to speak to one of their techs. Tell them what has happened to your unit and get their opinion as to the strength of torsion bars you are using.As well. If this was my unit with the bent frame I would loook at having the old a frame removed and installing new one. It is only welded in place so it should be able to have the weld ground out and install a new one. I would not feel safe by having the old one straightened and braced.

Wkkessler

Thanks for your advice.
I agree with replacing the a frame.
I'm going to use 5/16" steel not the 1/8 Lippert / Heartland used. Will also look into lighter torsion bars.