Blown "Blowmax" Tire

BillnKaren

Well, after reading all the postings about the Towmax Tires on the Bighorns, I now get to join the "excusive"" club of stranded RVers! Traveling 4 hours, the Right forward tire blew big time! Lucky for me I saw the smoke and pulled right over. Very little damage to the rig (trim strip dented underneath) ad the Rim is reusable!
I maintained the tires as recommended - pressure at 80psi, speed at 65mph. The rig is getting 4 new Goodear G614's on Friday!
I do have 1 question - what is the recommended pressure for theG614's?
Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• tire 1.JPG
    tire 1.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 68
  • tire 2.JPG
    tire 2.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 68

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I'm running them at 110psi. I don't know if that's to much but that is what the sidewall states.

caissiel

Tires like that shouldn't be close to any RV.
I have driven on flat LT tires and they still were all together.

Garypowell

Please be aware that whoever puts them on might only pump them up to 80 PSI. That was my experience and I have seen it mentioned here several times. A truck place should be able to take you higher but it seems to be the limit for a car place.

And then hen there it's the problem of your air compressor being able to do the job.

pegmikef

Jim.Allison

My estimate is running true. Blown TowMax about every 3 days.

You can get a real nice compressor at Lowes for about 129 to 139. There is the Porter Cable and Lowes label, I bought the flat one with a tank as opposed to the Porter Cable. I like mine because its flat and you can stack stuff on top of it without it getting tangled up. But if you have a generator on board a small compressor is nice to have. Mine goes to 155 psi. I'm running G114 and the max pressure is 125, I think Im running 115 psi.

X2 on the 110 psi on the G614, you will be at 3750 @110 psi. And I think your tires will run cooler and provide good service there.