Clear coat peeling on rims

RXMAN

I have a 2011 Sundance 3000RK and notice the clear coat on three of the rims is starting to peel off! Is this a common occurance and if so is their any treatment to prevent it.

My unit is still under warranty, so will contact Treadit Tire and Wheel for some advice.

RxMan

DMitch

A new trailer lke that shouldn't be peeling this soon. That said brake shoe dust can raise holy heck with clear coat. They clear coat can be sanded and touched up. You can buy clear coat in small spray cans in most parts stores.

Our Elkridge was pealing before I left the dealers lot. I tried everything I could to get the dealer to swap out a set from a different trailer that wasn't sold but they wouldn't go for it. They assured me that I would have a new set sent to me and full reembursment for my troubles of getting them remounted on the tires. It has been 3 weeks and I have contacted the dealer twice with little response from them. I figuerd that it would be an ordeal to get it taken care of. Anyway it should be taken care of under warranty. Good luck!

Brian

caissiel

I have a friend with a brand new SOB trailer and his wheels are peeling and he was told there is a recall on them. They are going to exchange them as soon as they get more rims.
2 of my other friends have SOB's and their rims have been replaced already. Mine are doing fine so far. Just where rocks and sand scraped mine show a few scratches. Theirs were realy showing rust penetration and graying bubbling.

DW_Gray

I just got a warranty replacement wheel from Tredit Tire because of a crack. The wheels have a lifetime warranty and the clear coat is warranted for only one year. Call Tredit Tire, 800-75-4437.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Double trouble, that is too bad.

I had two of the Chevy wheels replaced on warranty but now the older two are peeling and no more warranty! I am learning more about wheels produced in these times...we just put new tires on my wifes CTS and the tech showed us corrosion on the inside of the wheel rim. He said once this starts the tubless tires will no longer hold air. He cleaned it and remounted the tire but said it could quit holding air at anytime. What happened to the days of the old American Mags or Crager Chrome Mags? Those wheels seemed to last forever!

caissiel

I have a 25 year old VW cabriolet, on it's 3rd top and the wheels look like new. But I had a 90 VW with also aluminium wheels and they were all pitted with corrosion. I feel its a hit and miss.

GOTTOYS

I wonder if one of the headlight restore kits would work on polishing and recoating rims???

The wheels have an actual layer of clear coat which is a paint. It's difficult to get paint to stick to bare aluminum and at times this layer will lift or peel. There are shops around that refinish auto wheels. We had sent several in when I worked for a car dealer. They will strip the wheel, remove any oxidation (most important step) then reapply the clear coat. It used to cost around $100.00 per wheel. If mine ever get to the point that I can't stand them, I would either strip them with a paint remover and just polish the bare aluminum or have them stripped and powder coated which is another alternative to the clear coat process...Don

I got my new wheels in on Monday and took the wheels off of the trailer and to a tire shop. The dealer even paid for the mounting of the new ones and included shipping labels for the old ones.. I must admit I am very pleased.

Brian