Comments concerning cold weather issues with or without Yeti Package

ksucats

We have the opportunity to purchase a Landmark 365 Charleston or Key West at what we consider a great savings. However, neither has the Yeti package (but do have the dual pane windows). We do use the our current coach in winter conditions and wonder what issues you may have experienced not having the Yeti package or how the Yeti package saved you. Hope I worded the question right :D.

Appreciate your help.

jjriker

We have had our Landmark since June 2011. We found it on a lot and fell in love with it, but it didn't have the Yeti package. It did have the dual pane windows though. We decided to go for it, and have not regretted it. The winter of 2012, we spent a few weeks in pretty cold weather, down to temperatures which fell to seventeen below zero. On our coldest night, we had the water line freeze briefly from the water pump to the tank, and also had to replace some plumbing back in December 2012 due to lines contracting in the cold. Other than that our Landmark has performed well in cold weather. Every winter we spend at least part of it in colder weather areas, usually down to twenties mainly, and we have not had any issues remaining comfortable. On a related note, we have a fireplace and use it frequently in cool weather.

danemayer

Hi ksucats,

The Yeti package includes tank heating pads on the black, grays, and fresh tank, along with heat tape on the underbelly portion of the fresh water feed line between tank and pump.

We've spent 5 winters (6-10 weeks at a time) in Breckenridge, CO with temps routinely below Zero (F) and sometimes as low as -30 (F). In my experience, the furnace in our Landmark will keep the underbelly 20-30 degrees warmer than the ambient temp. So at -10, the underbelly will be at +10 to +20. I would expect to have some frozen tank contents at -10 ambient if I didn't have tank heaters.

You can have them added locally. I think the pads cost about $100 each. You'd need an additional circuit breaker and wires run to the pads. The hard part is that the coroplast underbelly has to be removed in front to access the gray #1 and black tank, and the coroplast in the rear has to be cut to access gray #2 and fresh tanks. I would estimate a skilled tech could install them in 3 hours. 4 at the most. So I think the cost would be under $1000. And as long as the underbelly is open, you could also get heat tape put on the fresh line. Maybe another $150-200 at most.

A less expensive approach would be to just put the heat pad on the black tank and run with the others open.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We do have the Yetti package on our 2013 Landmark....the tank heaters, water line wrap and extra insulation allowed us to spend almost a week with temps down to -6 degrees....had a little issue with external sewer lines freezing, but with Dan's help we even solved that issue. I cannot imagine what it would have been like without the Yetti package...we would have had some serious freezing issues I'm sure...

ksucats

Thanks to all who responded. We have decided to wait a bit and order one with the Yeti Package - discussed this with several of the Heartland folks as well as Jim B here on the forum (Kudos to all for their help and candid answers). Waiting may also give us the opportunity to look at the newest coach (Syracruse) and see if its smaller size meets our needs as well although we really love the longer ones out there right now. Hard to choose which one :) .

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Temps can drop unexpectedly, and you don't want to risk damage in the belly where it's difficult to find and repair during the winter. We added pipe heaters and fresh tank pad heater back when we were going skiing with our rig. Last winter, we used the coach as temporary housing, and those heat pads helped -- not one frozen pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk