Condensation inside on the bedroom slide at the bottom

Tree14

Good morning everyone

We have a 2016 4200 Cyclone and we found condensation inside at the bottom of the bedroom slide in both corners. Just checked the living room slide, all dry and good. Any suggestions? The is our 1st trip in retirement and fulltime.

Thanks
Tammie

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GregP

Hi. This is not a structural or design defect. Presumably you are camping in a colder climate and have found the condensation on interior surfaces that are out of the main traffic areas? There is a certain amount of moisture given off from us (and pets) while the unit is occupied. To reduce the condensation and possible frosting in cold climates, you could increase air flow in the affected areas by using fans or moving furniture, blankets, etc. away from walls where possible. Keeping a roof vent open a bit all the time might also help, but will result in heat loss.

danemayer

Warm moist air inside meets cold temps on the exterior wall and condensation forms. You don't want it to damage your bedding or mattress.

In the winter we put a spacer at the head of the bed to allow air flow between wall and mattress. I took low profile baking tins from Walmart ($1 each), drilled holes around the edges, and tucked them between mattress and sides to allow airflow there.

Tree14

Thanks for getting back to me. I took the liberty to send pictures. There is nothing blocking the corners on either side of our bed. We keep it cold in the room and the living room had fireplace going , set at 68°. We close bedroom door too.

We love our RV and want to address any issues that could result in damage.

Thanks for your help.

Tammie
65afdd9ee5e62b13a6273fcb7be2c4a3.jpg
d6a41738a45832d08b254dc89ccd08b4.jpg
253bb7103554897f15c35d168822fcc9.jpg
038e00d9d266e980551d68c54261fcf9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

danemayer

Here's a dew point calculation, assuming 50% Relative Humidity. Dew Point is the temperature at which water moisture in the air condenses into droplets.

If the room is at 69 (F), and the surface of the exterior wall is at 49 (F), you'll have condensation.

Maybe try keeping the bedroom open with air circulating through the RV instead of closing the door.

Dew Point 60.jpgDew Point 69.jpg

GregP

As Dan said, warm air circulation in the affected areas is the best way to reduce condensation. Corners are particularly vulnerable to condensation as the insulation (R factor) is less in the corners than in the main sidewall panels due to structural members conducting cold from the exterior to interior. If you are in a cold climate, you may also find this condensation and/or frost inside closed cabinets on exterior side walls, especially at lower levels near the floor. If the condensation is excessive in your opinion, you could use interior fans placed in the affected areas to improve warm air flow.

Lou_and_Bette

Tammie, check at the bottom, inside and out, of your window frame for the small horizontal slits. If they are blocked, or have been smashed closed, then water in the window channels can not drain to the outside. It is possible that the moisture from condensation on your windows is overflowing because the drains are not functioning and then could be running down the inside wall. Just a thought/possibility and something, if it is the cause, easy to remedy.