Direct TV

mike3fan

We have Direct TV single LNB sat dish mounted on our roof with the the non HD receivers. Can some one tell us if we need to upgrade our dish for HD reception? I do not think so but cannot get a straight answer from Direct TV. Another question is, we know we have to get HD receivers for HD television but do we need to buy the receivers and if so what do we do with the old receivers? This is another question we cannot get answered from Direct TV. Seems wastefull to just throw out the perfectly good non HD receivers an no where can we find out if we can trade them in for some type of money off deal.

I can't give you DirectTv info,but I have Dish and I had to upgrade Dish and Recievers to recieve HD programming,the old recievers can be sold on ebay,some people buy them for the electronics in them and others don't mind finding a old reciever in good shape for a good price,I wouldn't expect to get more than 20-30$ for one though.

If you want some old recievers I have 4 or 5 of them:p

Tom of Ypsi

Mike3fan,
I do not need any old receivers but I do need Tiger tickets. From Michigan originally, Ypsilanti and Allen Park, and I am in Belleville at the moment and the only tickets I can find are SRO.
Thanks for the offer though.

markandrenita

We are disgusted with direct tv and have went with dish. Don't make the mistake and tell them you are fulltimers, as we did. As fulltimers no one would help us set up, we are in Wyoming, and we spent 5 hours over two days trying to get help as we were switched from place to place. I marvel at how you are getting help. Sent all the stuff back to camping world.

Finally found a dish person who will come out, for 50 bucks, set us up and show us so we will see how it works out.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Well finally got to try out the Direct TV setup on our first trip away from home. We are in Vidalia, La. Set up the tri-pod and leveled it, set dish on it and had a signal in about 5 min. I use dishpointer.com and get all the numbers and I already had the elevation and tilt set for this location, so all I had to do was adjust the direction.
I discovered something I didn't expect by being able to receive our local channels from home and we're 260 miles from home. I was told I would probably be able to get them up to 150 miles, so I'm not griping about this.
This set up is sooo much better than dish network.

Bill

ChopperBill

Well finally got to try out the Direct TV setup on our first trip away from home. We are in Vidalia, La. Set up the tri-pod and leveled it, set dish on it and had a signal in about 5 min. I use dishpointer.com and get all the numbers and I already had the elevation and tilt set for this location, so all I had to do was adjust the direction.
I discovered something I didn't expect by being able to receive our local channels from home and we're 260 miles from home. I was told I would probably be able to get them up to 150 miles, so I'm not griping about this.
This set up is sooo much better than dish network.

Bill

I got pretty good at setting up the satellite. I have got the upper 90 signal strength buy first guess. You might try that distant net work deal with Direct. We have it all year long as you are only allowed to turn it off and on twice a year. We get it all in our stick home with both receivers (one goes in the BH or TC when we take off). You can watch a show on the east coast sooner than we get it here. Great if there are two programs on at the same time you want to watch.

Uncle Rog

We have Direct and it works like a champ, The roof mount dish takes mere minutes to set up and acquire a signal. We don't watch that much tv, but the option is nice.....

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Our motosat on the roof HD 5LNB using Direct TV is outstanding except that whenever i get to a new location, I have to contact Direct TV to resend the signal in order for it to work. I also have had to replace the Nomad 2 controller and learned there are periodic updates available only on the Motosat web site.

cgunn

Dish Network...

Well everybody doesn't have problems with dish...
I have dish and they furnished my tripod,no charge.
I didn't have to sign a contract.(Month to Month).
I just moved from Southwestern Colorado to the St Louis area.
It doesn't take long to get set up at all,once you learn.
I called and changed my local channels in 5 minutes.No problem.
The biggest help to me was a satellite meter (20 bucks).

Anyway..FWIW...That's My take........

Uncle Rog

Wrong satellite.............

I was setting up the dish yesterday, and embarassignly (sp) it took me over an hour, 55 minutes more than usual! I set the elevation / asmuth and had a 98% signal.........frustrated I took a look at the dish and realized I was out 90 deg! I had the wrong satellite! After re-calibrating the picture popped on instantly........too much aiming fluid...........

phranc

Hey Rog,, your're not the only one ,, I was once 180 deg out and kept locking on sats. but no picture.. Yaeh , I know . it's the red end of the compass, not the white!!
but all in all, my dish setup usually takes 10 min. Note the Direct dish and LMB upside down on a homemade mount. Yes we have Dishnetwork.
Taken at Greys Point in Va.

Attachments

• Vacation Va-NC 027 (Small).jpg
    Vacation Va-NC 027 (Small).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 30

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We too use to have Dishnetwork....was really a problem getting a signal, especially in the northeast. Their satellites are much lower in orbit than Direct TV which causes your elevation to be really low and hard to clear obstacles.

We switched back to Direct TV and have never had a problem with it. As far as fulltiming and Distant Networks...you need to make sure you are talking with the "Mobile Customers" department. They are the only reps that now what's going on with us mobile customers and can help you with the setup, etc.

As for local channels, we receive our east/west feeds and then pull in any local channels with our over the air antenna and the digital tuner in our TVs. The only time we've ever used Direct TV "locals" is when we sat a long time in one spot and just asked them to "spot beam" the locals in that area to us. It was easy and when we moved the switched us back to the Distant Networks, as per our waiver agreement.