Few more mods/changes - faucet, LED bulbs, larger mattress

Hutch85

Carried out a few more mods/changes this past week - nothing big, but one involves comfort :)

It's been almost a year, and we've decided the stock short-queen mattress won't cut it anymore - too uncomfortable and too short for my 6'3" frame. Rather than find a mattress topper we bit the bullet and purchased a queen-size mattress replacement - a Simmons "Beautyrest Westminster Abbey" (ooh, fancy name, LOL!). I removed the existing swing-up board that serves as part of the bed platform (and covers the under-bed storage area) and cut a new one out of the same type of OSB, only 6" longer:

20150802_200949_resized.jpg

I even rounded the corners with a jigsaw instead of just cutting them at an angle, then lightly-sanded all edges to remove any slivers ;) Not sure if I'll get carried away and install edging on the board, but we'll see! Now we just wait for the mattress to arrive in a few days - our upcoming 2-week trip should provide a better sleep.

Next, we replaced our "inexpensive factory-supplied plastic faucet" (i.e. cheap one that was leaking at the nozzle button already) with a new one - a Danze Arvida brushed-nickle w/pulldown nozzle:

20150802_201023_resized.jpg

Since the factory faucet was a two-handle unit and the retaining nuts were under each handle, I had to get a little creative with the single-hole mount: the back edge of the counter (under the sink edge) stopped right next to the edge of the middle hole, and there wasn't enough room for the retaining nut on the new faucet to properly secure it. I made some additional blocking to go under the sink at that area that butts against the counter edge, and drilled the appropriate-sized hole in the blocking for the faucet mount. I sourced a couple of 1/2" to 3/8" male-male adapters to connect the water lines, checked for leaks and all seems ok.

The deck plate that came with the faucet covers the old faucet holes but doesn't overlap the sink edge - some faucet deck plates are large and do overhang, which we didn't want. This one is about 1/2-inch or so taller than the original faucet, but isn't really noticeable. Like the idea of a single-handle faucet too.

The last 'mod' is the LED bulbs in the fixture above the sink: Gold Stars #92100024 bulbs, 80 lumens, 4000-4500K.

20150802_201049_resized.jpg

Since we usually leave that light on most often instead of any other lights, we're trying these bulbs out to see if we like them; if so we'll look at replacing the bulbs in the other fixtures or perhaps try slightly brighter versions.

Speaking of LED bulbs, we replaced the incandescent reading light bulbs over the bed with these ones sourced on Amazon: Bulbrite LED/1383/WW Ba15S Warm White 2.6-Watt LED 1383 Elevator Light. Quite a nice bulb, seems to be good quality. Still a bit bright, but it's nice not having the heat from the originals.

Diamondjim

Mike - thanks for sharing. Interested in changing out the so-so OEM for a nicer pull down as well. Have not started to look, but suspect DW will jump for joy with the Danze design group.
What did you run into under the sink. Am thinking they may have use a crimp of some sort.....don't tell me, I'll have to look. especially if you had to use an adapter.
Good job, now on my to do list for sure!

Hutch85

Thanks! Water line connections were pretty straightforward, factory lines had 1/2" screw-on couplers. Hardest parts were a) finding the 1/2" male to 3/8" male water line adapters (local hardware store had them, just had to search thru the stock extensively); and b) finding/making the right thickness block underneath the edge of the sink to get a decent mounting surface for the tap.

I can take a couple of pictures and post them if you like.