Fridge power shutoff?

raunham

I have a 2018 3710MB fifth wheel with a Haier 120V fridge, that I want to shut off during the off season. Near as I can tell, the only way to do that is to kill the main power (no-go, want to keep the batteries charged) and then shutting down the inverter so it's not running off the batteries, or pull the fridge out completely to unplug (if there is a plug in the back). I've studied all the power wiring diagrams, and see no other way.....which baffles me. Am I missing something?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If the inverter gets its power from the battery just disconnect the inverter wires from the battery.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

I would think that the inverter would have its own on-off switch. Whether that is accessible is another question.

david-steph2018

I have a 2018 3710MB fifth wheel with a Haier 120V fridge, that I want to shut off during the off season. Near as I can tell, the only way to do that is to kill the main power (no-go, want to keep the batteries charged) and then shutting down the inverter so it's not running off the batteries, or pull the fridge out completely to unplug (if there is a plug in the back). I've studied all the power wiring diagrams, and see no other way.....which baffles me. Am I missing something?
For the fridge, turn the breaker off in the 120V breaker box.
If you have the 1000W Magnum CSW Series inverter, turn it off.

IF THE INVERTER ONLY POWERS THE FRIDGE.
Near your inverter should be a dedicated transfer switch for the fridge. This switch is probably plugged into the bottom of the inverter. On the transfer switch should be a line coming from the breaker box labeled "120 Line volt in" then the second line should read "power out".

This was how our Road Warrior was set-up until we changed out our solar system.

Last edited:

raunham

Thanks for the replies, but even if I turn off the inverter, the fridge is on shore power (which I want to keep active to keep the batteries charged).
And there is no separate breaker for the 120V to the fridge, which I find is weird. EVERYTHING should have a breaker / fuse. And I have killed every breaker in the box which did nothing. The only one that killed the power was the main breaker, which killed everything.
And to disconnect the battery from the inverter, same issue. Fridge is still powered by the shore power.

Looking at the attached block diagram, the only solution I see it to put in a switch on the output of the transfer switch, that supplies power to the fridge. NOTE: the circuit breaker noted here that supplies power to the transfer switch (lower left hand corner) is NOT there. As I said, I've killed every breaker (with the inverter turned off) and the fridge STILL gets power.

Any other ideas?

Attachments

• Residential Refrigerator Electrical Block Diagram.pdf
    68.2 KB · Views: 6

raunham

Yes, this is the same transfer switch I have, that is fed by the inverter and AC power, but the output is going straight to the frig. No breaker involved to kill the power to it.

Seems my solution is to install a switch (or ideally a breaker) to feed that power to the frige. Still can't believe there is nothing there....

david-steph2018

In our rig the outlet for fridge was on the outside of the partition behind the couch. No need to remove the fridge to unplug. Look around there for an outlet.
The output does go straight to the fridge. The breaker should had been in the breaker box with other 120VAC breakers.