GPS - What are you using?

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Folks
Well I tried the Delorme, and a Belkin, the wife got tired of having the laptop on her lap!!!!!! I recently bought a TomTom 300, it is a stand alone system and is easy to use but a little pricey. About 700 bucks. I am going to try the new Imac 500c, again a stand alone system. It is about the same price but from what I have read it has a few more features. Will keep you updated when I find one.

Glenn

cnbenn

Dodge GPS deals

Preface: I am not the ebay guy - just a happy customer (and I won't use his name to keep this post legit)...

I purchased a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500HD / Hemi and could NOT get the factory installed RB1 Dodge GPS. This system is manufactured for Dodge by Alpine and is a vast improvement over the factory radios - even the Infinity systems. I found a guy on ebay selling "pulls" of factory radios as used GPS systems. He offers a 45 day warranty on them, and my experience has found that the dealer will honor the 7/70 bumper-bumper on the GPS as well.

We have since purchased a 2005 Durango - and did the same thing. The ebay prices we paid for both GPS systems (the model for the Durango is 'REC' not RB1 - and requires the purchase of a new trim kit from Dodge) was the same as the sticker price from ONE of the vehicles.

The installation was simple, used the same wiring harness as the original radios, and only required me to locate the antenna - inside the dash. The seller included a diagram of where Dodge wants the antenna installed for both vehicles, and it is completely hidden from sight.

I was skeptical at first, but if you're careful and have a little bit of ability, it's a great alternative to the Magellan / Garmin systems. Drawback: not portable like the Mag/Garmin's...