HELP! Black Tank slow to dump-2010 North Country 26BH

copcarguy

Hey all - thanks for the replies... Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on here, as we had a 10lb 7oz baby girl and life has been very busy lol.

About a month or two ago, we made the roughly 5 hour trip back to the dealer. Heartland authorized them to lower the dump side of the black tank 2 inches, and raise the other side 2 inches. This created a steeper pitch for the black tank to dump better. Heartland also said if any water was going through the black tank flush hose then it was working correctly. While it does dump better, I am still not 100% happy. Now instead of 5 inches of stuff, there's probably 2. Ewww.

I did buy a see through elbow for the sewer connection, which at the very least lets me know when nothing is going through it any longer... but stuff still remains in the tank even though I can see nothing going through the clear elbow.

I'm going to try the Calgon / dish soap trick.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
We add a bag of ice for the trip home along with dish soap gives it a good slushing !! always wonder if we were leaving a trail of bubbles !!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Still sounds like something is not right. If they repositioned the tank, as you say, it should almost fly out of it. After looking at how the valve on my black tank is positioned (I can see it from the basement), there doesn't look like there is much of a restriction going from the tank through the valve. I'd still suggest getting a HydroFlush adapter set up and back flush the tank a few times. Or did the dealer clean the tank while they worked on it? If all they did was shift its angle, they probably didn't. Why play with somebody else's doody if you're not forced to?

copcarguy

I was sitting in the camper as they worked on it. They dumped the tank and said "see nothing is coming out anymore and the monitor panel is reading empty". Then they tried to send me on my way... after driving 5 hours I was less than pleasant at that point. I MADE the service manager look down the toilet with a flashlight and he said "oh, it's not empty after all." YA THINK?? lol That's when they called Heartland for authorization to move the tank. We refilled it with a hose through the toilet and it seemed to dump better, but then it was mostly just clean water not black water.

As a side note, we are camping as I type this so I got in a mood this afternoon, and found where the black tank flush hose enters the camper (under the bathroom sink behind a panel). I followed that and found the check valve, and then followed the hose under the bathtub, though the floor, and into the black tank. I took the check valve off and it was full of little plastic chunks I assume are from manufacturing. I took it apart and cleaned it and flushed it out with a garden hose. It flowed more than before so I hope it'll work better. We just now need to fill the black tank again to see...

PS - is this the hydroflush you're talking about? http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rv-hydro-flush-45-degree/14496

jimtoo

We add a bag of ice for the trip home along with dish soap gives it a good slushing !! always wonder if we were leaving a trail of bubbles !!!

I certainly hope your not driving down the road with the cap off and valve open leaving a trail of bubbles, because if you are,,, and I see you... believe me,, I will call the cops on you.

slaytop

I removed my black water tank to seal a leak and discovered a 3" plastic disc inside next to the drain opening. You can see the disc on the attacked photo. I don't know who or when the disc was cut but leaving it in the tank is asking for trouble similar to what you are experiencing. It is unlikely the disc would have exited the tank through the drain because it required grabbing it with a pair of pliers to force it out. It could have blocked the drain if it flipped up near the opening but it didn't cause any problems for me.

Attachments

• IMG_2383.JPG
    IMG_2383.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 35

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

That's one of the styles. I think there are a couple of variants on it, but they all work the same. Add a twist-on valve between it and the sewer hose and you're in business. I like to use mine after each dump of the tank, then I add a few gallons of water and a cup or two of dissolved Calgon powder. My poop chute has a slight angle to it, so I can't look directly into the "aquarium." I wonder if the Chief would mind me borrowing our SearchCam and sticking it down there???

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I removed my black water tank to seal a leak and discovered a 3" plastic disc inside next to the drain opening. You can see the disc on the attacked photo. I don't know who or when the disc was cut but leaving it in the tank is asking for trouble similar to what you are experiencing. It is unlikely the disc would have exited the tank through the drain because it required grabbing it with a pair of pliers to force it out. It could have blocked the drain if it flipped up near the opening but it didn't cause any problems for me.

Strange that the disc you pulled out is not the same color as the tank material. Or so it looks in the photo. What is that brass fitting next to the large toilet drain fitting?

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist

I prefer to use Ivory liquid.

Bubbles are plentiful..they are lack luster...but. man there are a lot of them!!!:cool:

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
I prefer to use Ivory liquid.

Bubbles are plentiful..they are lack luster...but. man there are a lot of them!!!:cool:

Cool Ivory Liquid will give me more Bubbles !! Wow thanks for the tip. p.s don't tell Jim !! sheeee

jimtoo

Cool Ivory Liquid will give me more Bubbles !! Wow thanks for the tip. p.s don't tell Jim !! sheeee

Alright,,,, you got me,,,,just you wait....:D Paybacks are...:D

But,,, believe it or not... I have seen that happen... don't know about the soap and ice,,,but saw it getting dumped on road...and it was no accident.

Jim M

Northern Virginia
Two weeks ago on Interstate 66, a guy in a class C flew past me with his tanks open (We had just left the National Forest...there are a lot of campgrounds in the Virginia/West Virginia National Forest without working dump stations). I had to turn on my wipers. I got pretty grossed out. If I had thought about it, I might have called the State Police. What a jerk.

John