Hitch install to pull a Tote on BH 3575

calfirebill

I am going to pull a swivel two wheel tote behind my Bighorn 3575 and want to weld a class 3 hitch (Curt Hitch #13703) between the frame at the very end of the trailer and weld diagonal braces from the center of the hitch back to the bottom of the frame at 45 degree angles going forward about 3 feet to strengthen it. The hitch is rated to pull 3500 lbs but only 350 lbs tongue weight. My tote may have over 500 lbs tongue weight when loaded. Are there any holding tanks near the rear of the trailer I would be blocking from removal by doing this? Any other problems?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: ATF: Bighorn - Bighorn hitch install for 3575

I am going to pull a swivel two wheel tote behind my Bighorn 3575 and want to weld a class 3 hitch (Curt Hitch #13703) between the frame at the very end of the trailer and weld diagonal braces from the center of the hitch back to the bottom of the frame at 45 degree angles going forward about 3 feet to strengthen it. The hitch is rated to pull 3500 lbs but only 350 lbs tongue weight. My tote may have over 500 lbs tongue weight when loaded. Are there any holding tanks near the rear of the trailer I would be blocking from removal by doing this? Any other problems?

Whoa....The hitch is rated to have 350 lbs tongue weight but you will have over 500 lbs tongue weight. If what you said is correct you better look at a heavier hitch as you will be overloaded from the get go. Bad idea.

calfirebill

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Bighorn hitch install for 3575

Unfortunately no one that I can find makes a heavier hitch for the back of a trailer. It is probably due to the wide span between the frame rails. I plan on beefing this hitch up with steel welded across the frame rails under the hitch plus weld diagonal braces from the center of the hitch back to the frame. The Curt hitch was rated for bolt together and bolt on application and it will be stronger all welded.

jbeletti

MOVING POST TO FRAME FORUM

There are no holding tanks that far back on your BH. There are things to worry about - like what 500# of weight will do to the frame if not properly reinforced.

I am no engineer, but I'm thinking you'll want to have a qualified welder/fabricator custom design a hitch for the coach to pull your tote. Consider also "boxing" the frame for some length from the back toward the front of the coach.

I just had a dual 2" receiver system made for my coach. I'm only hauling 2 bikes, so maybe 75 pounds of bike plus the weight of the rack and receiver system. We didn't box my frame as what I'm doing it pretty light duty. Mine is made as a bolt-on so I can move it to another coach. Not sure about a bolt-on for a 500# application.

Lou and Bette Dick have recently added a tote and their hitch system looked pretty beefy - may want to check in with Lou.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The other issue is removing pin weight. That can make for a tail wagging towing condition. Keep in mind the axle placement...they are not at the rear of the BH. It's the teeter tooter effect. JMHO

Lou_and_Bette

Have a Swivel Wheel trailer similar to the one you are looking at. I had a custom hitch made that is very strong with a lot of added steel. The only difference in ride I noticed was less "chucking" I believe is due to damping of the tail bounce. I did have the rig weighed at Goshen and subsequently shifted some weight to the front storage area. I was hauling my HD Ultra.

hoefler

Any weight you add to the rear of the trailer will remove a proportionate amount from the pin and place it on the axles. No amount of moving weight around will change that. Hitch + tongue weight will be around 750 pounds added to the rear of the trailer, you will add double to the axles. Do you have 1500 pounds of room on your trailer suspension?

danemayer

Any weight you add to the rear of the trailer will remove a proportionate amount from the pin and place it on the axles. No amount of moving weight around will change that. Hitch + tongue weight will be around 750 pounds added to the rear of the trailer, you will add double to the axles. Do you have 1500 pounds of room on your trailer suspension?

Can you walk us through your calculations so we can understand how 750 lbs turns into 1500 lbs.

DaveTyler

I too am interested in doing this mainly for hauling a golf cart. I have seen the small hitch they put on with bolts for the Landmark. Guys that do the BBQ circuit pull their cookers behind them. Be nice to see some good ideas. One that I saw was welded but also bolted. On basket type could put generator or Yeti Cooler?

Bob&Patty

One other thought, you will void your frame warranty. BTW, with the tote, how long will your combo be wheel to wheel front to back?

calfirebill

I am aware that Lippert will use the hitch as an excuse to void the frame warranty and could loose the rest of my 1 year, but I know the hitch and reinforced frame will be stronger than it is now and am willing to take the chance. The total overall length with tote is 60 feet. California maximum length is 65 ft. Nice to here from Lou and Bette that their rig pulls nice with the tote. Their 3570 is just about the same as my 3575. What is the weight of the load you have on your tote, Lou nd Bette?

calfirebill

Bob,

I am in the process of upgrading/replacing my class "C" license with a "non-commercial class A". As you probably know, most states allow towing up to 15,500 pounds or more with a regular drivers license so most fifth wheels are rated GVWR at 15,500 pounds. California always has to have more strict laws and sets the limit at 15,000 pounds catching many people pulling fifth wheels with an illegal license. As far as adding a tote behind a trailer, since it is connected in two places and has swivel wheels, it is not considered a second trailer. It is an extension of the trailer it is connected to.

Bob&Patty

Bill, I wonder if they would consider the weight of the tote and contents in the GVW of your 5'er? OH yea, I know Calif. laws ...I had a commercial CDL for many years when I was an owner/operator. Good luck on getting straight/correct answers from the CHP or DMV. None of them seem to know the same answers to the same question.