How I solved a hot light switch problem

We have had a problem with the light switch in our North Trail 22FBS since we got it. I think that the fact that the one switch works 8 bulbs is close to an overload. I intended to replace the fixtures with LED's and purchased one fixture at Camping World for about $60. Before installing it I checked for replacement bulbs and found http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TKI4VU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 these on Amazon for $8.25 each with free shipping for Prime members. I replaced all 8 for $66. I turned on the 8 lights and checked the amps at the battery and was pulling over 4. Replaced the lights and the same 8 bulbs are pulling less than 1 amp. No more hot switch, just as much light, and a lto more time on the battery. I will bw replacing ALL of the incandescent bulbs in the camper.

Gaffer

4 amps should not heat up a switch. Nor is it close to an overload. I would check for a loose connection at the switch even if it is cool to the touch now.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with PJ. Sounds like you may have a high resistance open connection somewhere. (In other words, not making solid contact somewhere in the circuit). This causes the circuit to work harder to provide enough juice and it will heat up.
It may even be right at the back of the switch.
Sounds like you have masked it by reducing the current draw, but I would still look into it.Trace

When the problem started there was a melted wire nut behind one of the lights. I replaced that connection and the wires at the back of the switch were discolored. I replaced them also. Rechecked every connection in the circuit and the switch was still getting warm.