Looking for a new truck...

porthole

Retired
The smartest move Chrysler ever made was putting the Cummins in their Ram. Made far more sense than attempting to develop their own from scratch. I speak from experience as a retired Chrysler engineer who was involved in that decision as a process engineer in the transmission plant. I won't speak ill of either Ford nor GM, both make nice trucks, but I've never had a moments problem with my Ram, it has all the power one could ever need and it has been defect free.
John

So who was responsible for the Mitsubishi diesel, the second diesel offered in a Dodge pickup?

scottyb

The smartest move Chrysler ever made was putting the Cummins in their Ram. Made far more sense than attempting to develop their own from scratch. I speak from experience as a retired Chrysler engineer who was involved in that decision as a process engineer in the transmission plant. I won't speak ill of either Ford nor GM, both make nice trucks, but I've never had a moments problem with my Ram, it has all the power one could ever need and it has been defect free.
John

Ford did it 1st with the I/H 6.9L and later 7.3L, 7 or 8 years before Dodge introduced the Cummins. My 1st was a 82 6.9L. Ford and I/H basically revived the diesel pickup market in the US, which GM had single-handedly destroyed with their 1st diesel cars and LDT's. You couldn't give one away in the early 80's. I learned that with my 81 Toyota diesel, which was a great truck, and I did practically give it away. It went to Honduras after 200K mi. and it's probably still running.

TimDyck

I have own a 2011 Chev 3500HD for he last few years. I bought it new and the only problems I have had were with the exhaust system (DPF and DEF). Great truck as long as your working it but short trips around town do not create the heat it needs for the exhaust. I used to be a Ford guy but as mechanic I get to see all the pros and cons and I decided to go with the Chev this time around since it ill be the cheapest to maintain in the long run. I generally own a truck for about 10 years at a time and do landscaping as a hobby so I pull a Bobcat with attachments around a lot. I also pull our camper between 4000 and 7000 miles per year so I buy what I hope will be the best tuck I can afford, this time I was the Chev.

porthole

Retired
Ford did it 1st with the I/H 6.9L and later 7.3L, 7 or 8 years before Dodge introduced the Cummins.

Are you forgetting the Dodge Mitsubishi powered (all 105 HP) pickup from the late 70's?
What a dog that truck was. I worked for a large dodge dealer when that truck hit the road. One thing I remember about it was the frequent change of flex plates (plate that connects the crankshaft to teh torque converter).

Or how about the Perkins diesel way back in the 62 or 63 Dodge pickup?

Dodge beat Ford to the the tarmac with a diesel.

lwmcguir

The reason I am looking at a new truck are the potential $$$ involved before and during the trip for repairs. I already had to add airbags to the 2500 to level the load and am looking for a more stable platform for said load.

We have no stability issues at all towing the Augusta or heavier trailers as well. If you get the overload spring option you don't need air bag either.

jlb27537

If you want something bullet proof, the new '13/'14 Ram with the Asian. My '12 Ram 3500 DRW is probably the quietest, best fit and finish truck I have ever had. If you do not need to tow 30K, the 350/800 engine is plenty with the 68RFE tranny is a good performer. I am very pleased with that combo in my '12.

Pls realize these new diesels like to be worked. They do not like to be 6 mile to work drivers.