Luv'n our Landmark Mount Rushmore Suite

G_Hage

First let me say Heartland products wasn't even on our short list, much less our intermediate list of fifth wheels to purchase. Instead we had our head in the clouds looking at Tetons, Excels, Mobile Suites, Newmar and the likes. ALL with a price tag to go with them to.

But, the bank helped bring me back down to earth and convinced me to buy smarter. Meaning, why go tens of thousands of dollars deeper in debt on an item that depreciates at pretty much the same rate as the more affordable and still quality built fivers available, like Landmark.

Low and behold, after being in our 2008 [built dated 2006] Mount Rushmore Suite full time for almost two weeks now, we are really pleased with its performance thus far. The floor plan is almost identical to the Mobile Suites we almost bought, and we much prefer the granite counter tops in our MR over the corian in the MS. To us the granite looks much richer.

The kitchen layout is awesome and I love cooking in it, and even though we have a king sized bed, the bedroom and bath area are adequately roomy for our needs. Plus the MR has more than enough cabinetry.

Although the MS has a heavier built frame than our MR, I was able to easily get rid of the obnoxious bonce (as mentioned in the thread shake, rattle, and roll) we were experiencing every time one of us including the 20# dog walked from one end of the fiver to the other. It was driving us all crazy! $75.00 later for four aluminum screw jacks and wood blocking, plus fifteen minutes of my time installing them under the frame, the ole girl is now solid as a rock!

For only being insulated R-23 roof, R-8 walls, and R-35 floor as the 2006 brochure indicates, we were able to easily keep comfortably heated in several nights well below freezing only using the fireplace in the living room and heat pump in the bedroom.

I think we're gonna like the way we live in our Landmark product. :cool:

Attachments

• Delivery day 1.jpg
    Delivery day 1.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Delivery day 2.jpg
    Delivery day 2.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 163

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Good to hear all is well with the Landmark. It would be interesting to know or find out who it's original owner was.

jbeletti

Great review and explanation on your thought / decision process.

Love your tow vehicle. Even the upper decal sort of ties in with the RV scheme. What do you tow when you are not towing the RV?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Congrats on your "New" Landmark. We did basically the same research on upper end units. Seriously considered MS and Excel, but kept coming back to the new Landmark, for the quality, value and the much more modern interior design...as with you, we have not been disappointed! We too LOVE our Landmark...what an awesome coach!

If you want a no fuss solution to "rocking"...consider Steadyfast...had it in our Bighorn and it was great! Luckily, we do not need anything on the Landmark, the factory installed Level Up keeps us rock solid.

SGeohagan

Looking at the pictures, it looks like you have either Steadyfast or JT Strongarm. May need adjusting. You can probably check their websites for instructions. We put the Steadyfast on our Big Horn and did away with the king pin stabilizer and x-chocks between the wheels. It is rock solid now.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Just looked at the pics...looks like JT's on the front, but none on the back. I'd add a set to the back and follow manufacturer's instuctions for their use. Should eliminate virtually all movement....:)

G_Hage

Great review and explanation on your thought / decision process.

Love your tow vehicle. Even the upper decal sort of ties in with the RV scheme. What do you tow when you are not towing the RV?

Yea, funny how the graphics blends with those of the Landmark.

Our 2007 Kenworth (toter) is used by the wife and I in our small trucking business we own. We specialize in servicing the air cargo and air passenger industry exclusively. We haul jet engines, engine cowls and thrust reversers, landing gear, and all large control surfaces (slats/flaps, rudders/elevators/etc).

We pull a 48' long custom stepdeck trailer with an automatic tarping system. Our prior trailer was an open deck as shown in the photos. We have 14.5' of living space in the tractor behind the cab that has it's own fully equipped kitchen, bath w/shower, RV sized ref/freezer, in motion satellite TV (32" flat screen) with Dolby surround sound system,7.5KW Onan power plant, 30 amp shore power, etc. It was a factory custom build (not an aftermarket cut and stretch). Wheelbase is 327", overall length is 35', and wet weight is 26,400 lbs. We are 81' long pulling the 48' work trailer.

We plan to tow the Landmark with it for our seasonal moves until we retire in a few years and trade it for a Freightliner Sportchassis.Figure with the head mounted to the rear of the frame on the KW for the fiver, we will run about 71' pulling the Landmark.

Attachments

• Zerpa photo 1.jpg
    Zerpa photo 1.jpg
    735.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Zerpa photo 2.jpg
    Zerpa photo 2.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Loads #7.jpg
    Loads #7.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 91

G_Hage

I had posted the pin number early on here on the forum but no response as who may have been the original owner. The last six of the vin # are 006197. Would love to know more about this fiver's past life.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Yea, funny how the graphics blends with those of the Landmark.

Our 2007 Kenworth (toter) is used by the wife and I in our small trucking business we own. We specialize in servicing the air cargo and air passenger industry exclusively. We haul jet engines, engine cowls and thrust reversers, landing gear, and all large control surfaces (slats/flaps, rudders/elevators/etc).

We pull a 48' long custom stepdeck trailer with an automatic tarping system. Our prior trailer was an open deck as shown in the photos. We have 14.5' of living space in the tractor behind the cab that has it's own fully equipped kitchen, bath w/shower, RV sized ref/freezer, in motion satellite TV (32" flat screen) with Dolby surround sound system,7.5KW Onan power plant, 30 amp shore power, etc. It was a factory custom build (not an aftermarket cut and stretch). Wheelbase is 327", overall length is 35', and wet weight is 26,400 lbs. We are 81' long pulling the 48' work trailer.

We plan to tow the Landmark with it for our seasonal moves until we retire in a few years and trade it for a Freightliner Sportchassis.Figure with the head mounted to the rear of the frame on the KW for the fiver, we will run about 71' pulling the Landmark.

Wow, what a nice tractor and setup. You didnt say what you had for power, but I believe it ends the debate of who has more torque. :rolleyes:

jbeletti

Nice truck. Thanks for sharing your pics. I'll inquire on your VIN. May need 2 more digits. Also may not be able to share original retail owner info with you unless I know them and ask them first.

G_Hage

Wow, what a nice tractor and setup. You didnt say what you had for power, but I believe it ends the debate of who has more torque. :rolleyes:

Cummins ISX 475 hp [1650 torque rating @ 1200 rpm] with an Eaton Fuller autoshift tranny. Transmission selectively skips unnecessary gears during up shifting through the gears based on variations of loads and terrian. Pulling the work trailer we are still getting an avg mpg = 7.2 while putting 425 hp to the ground with almost 900,000 miles on the engine. Note: no overhaul has been done as it is currently not needed.

G_Hage

Nice truck. Thanks for sharing your pics. I'll inquire on your VIN. May need 2 more digits. Also may not be able to share original retail owner info with you unless I know them and ask them first.

8E006197. We mainly are interested in knowing when it was actually built and if it was a custom build by customer order, or a lot spec model. What options did the original owner add, factory and aftermarket. Was it a one owner unit prior to our recent purchase, or how long did the original owner have it and what year they sold it. Would love to know if it had any warranty issues that were corrected during the warranty period.

I don't ask for much, do I! LOL

Vtxkid

Wow, didn't realize a engine could have 900,000 miles on it and still not require any major repairs! Impressive...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

jbeletti

8E006197. We mainly are interested in knowing when it was actually built and if it was a custom build by customer order, or a lot spec model. What options did the original owner add, factory and aftermarket. Was it a one owner unit prior to our recent purchase, or how long did the original owner have it and what year they sold it. Would love to know if it had any warranty issues that were corrected during the warranty period.

I don't ask for much, do I! LOL

You forgot one. Don't you want to know what the last meal the last owner made in the RV? :)

If I can find out anything - it will be the original build sheet and only maybe to the original buyer if it was a "retail sold" order and then only if I know them so I can get their approval to release their name.

Maybe you can do a CarFax on the unit, if that works on RVs. Finding previous owner(s) of it is probably doable - more easily by you that by Heartland we we actually do not sell retail direct - but only wholesale to dealers.

G_Hage

Wow, didn't realize a engine could have 900,000 miles on it and still not require any major repairs! Impressive...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

The Cummins ISX engines when properly maintained has been doing a million miles plus before requiring an inframe rebuild. Since our loads are typically light we expect to get at least that as we also have a bypass oil filtration system on it.

jbeletti

Here's your original build sheet. That's all I can get. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20130211085253561.pdf
    66.9 KB · Views: 48

Raquel

The Cummins ISX engines when properly maintained has been doing a million miles plus before requiring an inframe rebuild. Since our loads are typically light we expect to get at least that as we also have a bypass oil filtration system on it.

Our Volvo (500 hp Cummins ISX) has 560,000 miles and we don't figure we'll ever have to do anything major to it with our use as a RV tow vehicle. This was one of the reasons we bought it for RV towing.

G_Hage

Here's your original build sheet. That's all I can get. Thanks.

Thanks Jim for your help. I also learned Monday from Heartland that as the pin box sticker indicates, the unit was built in October, 2006 and first sold in 2007 [I would assume the early part since Heartland indicated it was built as an ordered unit, not a lot spec model]. They went on to indicate that it was built as the 2008 Mount Rushmore Suite model year and registered as a 2008 by vehicle title. It was first sold in Florida and/or first titled in Florida and apparently has never been titled in any other state to date.

In doing an extensive search on the internet for archived Heartland Landmark brochures, I was able to find the Mount Rushmore floorplan being offered on the brochure up through 2007. 2008's brochure does not show it as an available floorplan. 2009 introduces the Cape Cod in what I believe may have been a replacement for the Mount Rushmores.

Since ours as Heartland states was built as a 2008 model, I have to wonder if this floorplan was dropped from the 2008 brochure due to the crashing economy in 2007-2008. I also cannot help but wonder how many of these beautiful MR fivers were built, especially after ours before Heartland pulled the plug on production. I will probably never know, yet it would be interesting to me.

Last time the LP bottles where filled prior to our purchasing this unit was 2/13/12 while the unit was at an RV park in site number 355. Maybe this information may help jog the memory of someone whom might know of who the original owner(s) was and could put them in contact with us.

Last edited: