New cord reel-switch just clicks when released

BigHorns

I just had to have the cord reel replaced on my 2019 42 ft Bighorn a couple weeks ago. Rolled up the cord fine when leaving the service shop. Been parked since then. Discovered this afternoon that the reel isn't working. Nothing from the motor. However, when I release the switch, it clicks twice. Every time. I pulled the switch out to test voltage. Have 12V between both of its black wires to one of its red wires. No voltage between either black and the other red.

Make enough sense to anyone to have a thought on the situation?

BigHorns

Have confirmed good voltage through the switch (on the wires to the motor) when the switch is pressed. Odd thing is (to me), it is the switch that clicks when I let go, not the motor. This is a single position spring-loaded switch. It doesn't have separate Retract and Release positions. Seems clear the brand new motor is dead, but what causes the switch to click when I let go...

Roller4tan

Perhaps the wiring from switch to motor wasn't correctly hooked up. My cord reel is a manual pull out with power coil up. Some I've heard are power out and in. Was your replacement reel an exact match to your old?

BigHorns

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like I have the same general type as you. Manual pull- power rollup. Yes, it's the same as the original- a Southwire RL54. The connections from the the source power to the switch and switch to the motor are solid. And the fact that it rolled up just fine when departing the service center makes this particularly bizarre. Along with that clicking from the switch.

Roller4tan

My next guess would be something inside the switch may have shorted or broke when your original cord reel failed. I would try a new switch. even though you state you have power though it. It may be failing under load. Even try to bypass the switch to see if the reel turns.

BigHorns

My next guess would be something inside the switch may have shorted or broke when your original cord reel failed. I would try a new switch. even though you state you have power though it. It may be failing under load. Even try to bypass the switch to see if the reel turns.
Thank you. That's my inclination, as well. We have been rolling daily since this discovery and dealing with manually rolling up the cord in the morning. Not something I would wish on anyone for very long. But we are going to be parked over the holiday weekend. Will have some time to dig into that switch further.