One side of landing gear won't move!

traveler44

I removed the landing leg with the motor assembly on it today. The lower pinion gear no longer makes contact with the drive gear. It looks like the bracket that holds the pinion gear has slipped down and away from the drive gear on one side. On the other side it is still sticking through the U shaped hole. After prying the pinion up far enough to make contact with the drive gear the leg still won't move up or down. Maybe I have a sheared pin in a gear too. Where do you get a rebuild kit and is this something that can be fixed at an rv park or do I need to take it somewhere to be rebuilt? Thanks! Tom

57chevyconvt

Suggest that you spend a little time and read a number of the post on this forum which deals with the very same problems (and solutions) that you are experiencing. If you will take a look at the cross sectional drawing of the Venture Landing Gear leg, you will be able to follow some of the forum details more readily as to the probable cause of the lack of gear meshing that you have experience with the landing gear leg.

Attachments

• Langing_Gear_Manual.pdf
    276 KB · Views: 47

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom, 57chevyconvt attached the drawing that I was telling you about this afternoon.
You can get the entire leg from Venture Mfg for not a whole lot of money. I would guess in the $150 range.
For convenience, I would limp it home and get a new leg.
If you are still at the Marion CG when I get there on Friday, I can't help you with the leg, but I can help you drink some of your beer.

Peace
Dave

traveler44

Thanks for the information, Jim, about the Venture rebuild kit. I think we will do like Dave said and go on home and order a new leg. I will read more about the problem of running them up too far and see if I can rig up some kind of warning or indicator to keep this from happening again.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Venture sent me a rebuild kit about two years ago for around $35, a lot cheaper than a whole new leg, and with Dave helping (I mean watching), it shouldn't take you too long (couple of hours) to replace the innards. The only difficult part is getting a roll pin out and replaced and I was able to do that without any special tools. Of course, you have to take the leg out of the trailer so have a stron jack (or your Tow Vehicle) handy. I hooked up to the tow vehicle to do mine.

porthole

Retired
If they are the same size, I have the legs from my Cyclone sitting in the shed. Used them for a year before adding the LevelUp.

You can have them for teh cost of shipping. They are not light weight though.

Jimmy

Just making sure you checked to make sure the bolt has not fallen out of the drive shaft that runs from one leg to the other...

traveler44

We made it home Okay this afternoon and I should be able to fix the landing gear a lot easier here. I want to thank those of you that I talked to and those who replied to my questions on the forum. I want to try the set off of Duane's Cyclone to see if I can use them on the Bighorn that way I will have some spare parts too. The new leg costs $280 from Lippert plus shipping and I don't know what they cost from Venture Mfg. Thanks again Tom M.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom, if Duane,s don't fit, but I bet they will, I think the parts will be cheaper from Venture then from Lippert.

Peace
Dave