Planning on placing an order for an Oshkosh, questions.

Stickdog

Wife fell in love with the SS when we saw it in some model back in the Tampa show in 16. At that time we were just browsing what was new. Recently we were looking at the Big horn model with similar floorplan but as fulltimers the larger carry capasity, a foot shorter and a few other items make the Oshkosh a better option for us. We were planning on replacing our 09 DRW F350 with a new model 6.7 mainly due to B20 requirements and the newer upgrades even if we weren't looking at a new 5er.

I have been trying to read as many of the threads good and bad to get a feel for what is ahead and have some questions which I can't find answers for.

My number one is the residencial fridge. First we have no need for ice maker, 18 years in the S&Bs never hooked the ice maker up, and always thought the cold water was silly. Wife doesn't care either but loves the freezer size and that she can have room for more than one salad dressing . My concern is how long can it run on the inverter with 2 12volt batteries. We do have a 2000 watt inverter generator which we have used the few times we've dry camped do not want the onboard gen as it would get so little use. I'm not opposed to adding another pair of 12 volt if needed and would be more inclined to solar if it comes to that.

Our travel is usally no more than 5-6 hours a day and a mix between coe and state parks when available and overnights in those dreaded places between the interstate and the railroad tracks. We usally spend 6 mos volunteering with FWS 3 south 3 up north. I give this information as I'm sure it has a bearing on energy needs. I guess I could ask a salesman but i dare trust one.

Thanks for any and all responces.

ksucats

I have found that I can travel for six to eight hours in high heat and still have battery power left. For tailgating we have put our coach out and had it still working 16 hours later but the only thing running / on was the refrigerator and parasitic draw (propane detectors, what power the TVs draw when off, etc.) None of these were in cold weather though (below 30 degrees) so I don't know how that type of cold would affect run time. We winterized our refrigerator at the end of our first summer (blew the lines out) and did not use it this past summer at all - We also like ice and cold water but figured it was too much of a hassle for as little as we actually used our coach this summer.

Hope this helps answer your questions / concerns some. BTW we have the Frigidaire side by side, not the Samsung french door model.

danemayer

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Can you make an occasional overnight stop without power and expect to have enough battery power left the next day for the residential refrigerator to run? Yes. Two nights in a row without power? Maybe. Three? Pretty iffy.

If you're regularly camping without shore power, you'll need to use a generator or solar panels (or both) to keep the batteries charged.

Stickdog

We were disapointed with the updates with the 2018. The zero gravity stairs were the one mandatory item that we could not live with. We're not resort types and often are in snow and mud. Not that we seek it out it just happens.

We started looking for a 17 or 17.5 Oshkosh, wife prefered the fridge in the 17.5 but liked the dinning chairs in the 17. As luck would have it we found a dealer that handled both LM365's and DRV Mobile Suites and though they had a Oshkosk that would have worked DW saw a 36RSSB3 with vanity slide that had a much more appealing interior than the Oshkosh. It about another
$20,000 but I do like the stacked tube undercarriage vrs the I beam and hope the 31/2 insulation will keep it cool/warm depending on the season. and the MoRyde IS is a plus.

We'll still stuck with a king bed but that is something I can fix, I was a carpenter for 42 years.

I believe a rethink on the zero gravity stairs is in order.