Problem sliding springed pin through both holes of landing gear leg

wrgrs50s

I recently purchased my Sundance XLT 277RLS 5er. My problem is that I noticed upon picking up my unit, that the person assisting us was having difficuly with the pin sliding through the landing gear leg after it was retracted. It appeared that he must have figured it out after a few moments and so I left without questioning him. When I got home with the unit and was ready to drop the legs I noticed that the pin had only went through one side of the leg. After dropping the leg I could not get it through both sides either. Looking at it, it seems that the holes do not line up on the leg. I called my dealer and he said to bring it in but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how it was fixed. It looks like the pin mechanism is installed correctly (or properly lined up), the hole on the other side just looks like it is too low for the pin to continue through. Is it a faulty leg or am I missing something here?

Walter

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Walter, if you jiggle the leg a bit and the pin doesn't make it all the way in, I would suspect a faulty leg. Check the end of the pin for burrs or a ding on the pin that may be causing the problem. Maybe even a slightly bent pin? Try several holes as well.
For sure, don't put any weight on the leg if the pin isn't all the way through.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the rig on the truck hitch, raise the jacks to take the load off them. Then loosen the two small bolts that hold the pin assembly on the leg and adjust it until the pin moves freely all the way through. But if the pin did get bent due to it not catching the second hole, you'll need to replace the assembly. Not overly expensive.

hoefler

With the rig on the truck hitch, raise the jacks to take the load off them. Then loosen the two small bolts that hold the pin assembly on the leg and adjust it until the pin moves freely all the way through. But if the pin did get bent due to it not catching the second hole, you'll need to replace the assembly. Not overly expensive.

If you let the legs down and do not raise them up by hand and let the pin go through both holes, before applying a load, the pin will only be able to go through one side and get bent. It is very important to make sure the pin is through both holes before attempting to raise the coach.

wrgrs50s

Thanks for the quick reponse and suggestions from all. I will hitch up again so I can lift the leg and investigate the pin and leg further. For the time being I put a grade 8 bolt through the hole underneath in case the pin gave away. When I find the problem I will post the solution.

Thanks again to all,
Walter

wdk450

A couple of suggestions:
Work on getting the pin alignment right.
If you have the small diameter pins know that they are easily bent and think seriously about adding the bigger diameter pins (available from Tweety's) and a lot of hole drilling/enlarging.
Think about investing in a rubber mallet that comes in very handy with landing gear leg problems. I also have a couple of 2'x3' rug samples to kneel on.

wrgrs50s

Thanks JohnDar, I hitched up, checked the pin and it looked fine so I reinstalled it and adjusted until it slid through ok. All is good now.
Great forum, have learned numerous tips on here!

Walter

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks JohnDar, I hitched up, checked the pin and it looked fine so I reinstalled it and adjusted until it slid through ok. All is good now.
Great forum, have learned numerous tips on here!

Walter

My pleasure. We're here to help each other.