Question on Onan 5500 and fuel tank in toy hauler

Roddy

Last fall we bought a 2015 Cyclone 4150 with an Onan 5500. The dealer told me that I have two gas tanks in the coach, but I only have one place to fill. I do have a fuel transfer switch at the control box inside. Today we put 7 gallons in and it did not register on the gas gauge. An I filling a different tank? if so, do i hit the transfer/fuel pump switch to fill the one with the gauge?

Also, I have family staying in the camper this weekend, however I am only hooked up to 20 amp power, IF the AC needs to be turned on in the middle of the night, do we need to disconnect the shore power before starting the generator and turning on the AC?

danemayer

Hi Roddy,

I'm sure another Cyclone owner can fill you in on how the fuel tanks work. As for switching to the on-board Onan generator, there is an automatic transfer switch that gives priority to the generator. When you start the genny, it takes about 25 seconds for it to stabilize, and then the transfer switch contactors actuate, switching the power source from shore to generator. It's automatic.

david-steph2018

Last fall we bought a 2015 Cyclone 4150 with an Onan 5500. The dealer told me that I have two gas tanks in the coach, but I only have one place to fill. I do have a fuel transfer switch at the control box inside. Today we put 7 gallons in and it did not register on the gas gauge. An I filling a different tank? if so, do i hit the transfer/fuel pump switch to fill the one with the gauge?

Also, I have family staying in the camper this weekend, however I am only hooked up to 20 amp power, IF the AC needs to be turned on in the middle of the night, do we need to disconnect the shore power before starting the generator and turning on the AC?

One quick question when was the last time you ran the generator? What I do when I do the monthly generator testing I turn the shore power off, because if you loose power is when the generator would kick on anyways. Our 2018 has 2 fuel tanks in the left rear. One is for generator and the other for the toy fuel station. Our fuel pump switch needs to be pushed twice to turn on the fuel pump to fill the toy. So can't provide any information on that issue of tanks compared to our rig.
To look and see if you have 2 tanks would be to look underneath at the rear. Our rear is NOT covered with the underbelly covering, so your unit may not as well. I looked at a brochure for a 2015 and it said an optional second fuel cell. 2015_cy_8pg_lit.pdf (rvusa.com)
But call Heartland and give the last 6 of your vin and ask if it came equipped with 2 fuel tanks, they should be able to tell you.