Refrigerator Problems

Dan54

Our Dometic RM1350 is not operating on electric. This issue has happened several times this summer. We occasionally have a power outage at our campground during the week when we are not there. When the power comes back on the fridge fails to switch back from LP to electric operation. The first time we went thru both tanks of propane before we found out what was going on.
We were able to get it to run on electric by turning it off/on which must have reset it. We also closed our propane tanks to prevent it from happening again. This weekend the fridge shut off from electric operation again & since the tanks were off proceeded to defrost. Tried to reset by turning the fridge off/on numerous times with no luck. The indicator light has always (as far as we can remember) only given us two options to select from: LP indicator light on or LP & Auto light on. There is never the option of only the Auto light on which the manual says would be electric only operation. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Remove the lower vent cover outside and check the control board for loose wires or blade fuses. Wiggle wires and fuses to see if it affects the operation.

Dan54

Thanks for the response. Checked out the Dinosaur website, put in a request to get the correct part number for my refrigerator & got no response. I’ll try to call today. The Dometic part is about $200 so I may just order it thru Amazon instead.

wdk450

Thanks for the response. Checked out the Dinosaur website, put in a request to get the correct part number for my refrigerator & got no response. I’ll try to call today. The Dometic part is about $200 so I may just order it thru Amazon instead.

I did a Google websearch with your RM1350 model number to get the Dinosaur circuit board part number I cited.

Second

Ours has not worked since day 1. We bought our RV 20 Dec, and it has been "getting repaired" by camping world since 7 January. Heartland says the warranty will cover it, but only if camping world can figure out what is wrong, then it has to get returned to Heartland, to return to Dometic, to get a replacement. Will we ever see our brand new RV again??

wdk450

Camping World has a pretty poor reputation on this forum for their service. Suggest you do a search (upper right corner of this page) on the term "Camping World".

Talk to Heartland Service and see if they have an alternate RV servicer on their lists in your area. Ask Heartland if they will pay for warranty service at the servicer of your choice (old Heartland Service policy).

RVServiceReviews.com have reviews by RVers of servicers nationwide.

With the refrigerator circuit board having a cost of about $150, and whatever labor rates are for this, it might be worth your desire to get this job successfully done to pay for this out of your own pocket.

Second

Camping World has a pretty poor reputation on this forum for their service. Suggest you do a search (upper right corner of this page) on the term "Camping World".

Talk to Heartland Service and see if they have an alternate RV servicer on their lists in your area. Ask Heartland if they will pay for warranty service at the servicer of your choice (old Heartland Service policy).

RVServiceReviews.com have reviews by RVers of servicers nationwide.

With the refrigerator circuit board having a cost of about $150, and whatever labor rates are for this, it might be worth your desire to get this job successfully done to pay for this out of your own pocket.
Thank you!!

Dan54

Well, made it thru most of the summer with the refrigerator working. Put a new control board in last fall & was working fine until recently. Now the same problem, won’t work on electric. Refrigerator switched to propane at some point, ran the tank down to empty, then didn’t switch back to electric. The power has been protected so I’m not sure what could have caused the new board to fail. Going to contact Dometic today.

Dan54

Also, according to the manual when the refrigerator is operating on electric the Auto light will be lit & the LP light will not be lit. When I press the selection button the above is not an available option which leads me to believe the issue is with the Power Module. Last year before I replaced the PM board I remember that was happening as well.

wdk450

If you have to replace the circuit board again, look into a Dinosaur Electronics aftermarket board, built by a company that also contracts with NASA to high standards. Available on E-Bay and from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse (RVcoolingunit.com ) .
While doing a websearch trying to find you the right Dinosaur replacement board part number (you probably need the number off of your old Dometic board) I happened to see Dometic's list price on this RM1350 refrig: About $6500!!!!!

Dan54

Thanks, spoke to a tech at Dinosaur late yesterday. They do not offer a replacement board for my refrigerator. Guess I’m stuck with using another from Dometic. Waiting to hear from Dometic on the warranty. I’m guessing it’s probably 30 days or so so I’ll probably just reorder the part. Amazon, which is where I got it last year, is about $100 cheaper than RV Parts Shop so I’ll get it there again.

wdk450

Good luck to you. At the replacement price of this refrigerator, you are justified in doing/spending a LOT before it is no longer economically sensible to keep repairing it.