Rim Leak

2TrakR

On third set of tires on our 2011 Cyclone (3 axle). The originals were shot within a few hundred miles; we put Carlisle on it and was very happy. Had one tire with a slow leak, needed 20# after about a week.
Just put new tires on. Told tire guy to put new valve stem in that one; presumed it was the issue. Have steel valve stems and then the 507 TPMS screw-on monitors. Anyway..

New tires were fine, but went to head out on second trip with them and the monitor was squawking, we had a flat. It was the slow-leak tire, but they were new tires and this rim was on a new position.
Figured it was coincidence being the same as before.
Aired it up and completed the trip, it was leaking about 5PSI/hour, so we would stop and air it up every few hours.

At camp, checked with with soapy water and couldn't find the leak, was presuming it would be valve stem since we did not find anything stuck in the tire.
No luck finding the leak.
Took the tire off and over to our tire guy and had him check it out.
A couple minutes with soapy water and he found the spot.

It was leaking in the center of the rim. 4 inches over from the valve stem, center of the rim (center of the cross section). That explains the slow leak on the last set of tires. New tires have a bit more pressure, so they leak faster.
These are HWT 8 lug, 16" aluminum "split spoke". Have a new rim ordered.

First time I've seen a rim leak like this, it's obviously a poor/failed casting.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You should contact Tredit Tire, they warrant the rims for the life of the rim to the original owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoefler

I have had 5 wheel failures on our Landmark, 2 were the aluminum ( and no, they would not warranty them ), they had cracked at the bead. Had 3 steel wheels fail at the hub welds. WHen it came time to replace tires, I went with 17.5" steel wheels and tires, cost me $5.00 more than just replacing the 16" tires. I am on our 3rd year with out any issues at all. Every spring when it is time to get her out and dewinterize, the tire pressure is wit in 1-2 pounds of where I set them, 125psi. They are J series tires rated at 6,005 pounds each. I have been very pleased with them.

tireman9

Anyone with a tire failure, wheel failure or leak should
1. capture a picture
2. capture the DOT serial of the tire ( you should have that number recorded for all your tires anyway incase the number is destroif when the tire failed. and the ID numbers stamped/molded on the wheel
3. file a complaint report with NHTSA

Without sufficient numbers, NHTSA will not start an investigation... No investigation means no finding of a recurring problem
No recurring problem means no recall No recall means no improvement in the quality of the component.