Shower issue

tljack

We are on the 3rd week of a 6 to 8 month outing in our Bighorn 3570RS. Things have going good until my wife tells me there is water all over the floor in the bathroom. We cleaned it up and discovered it had come under the bottom rail of the shower doors. Being on the road, along way from home, I decided to reseal it myself. First I removed the sealant from the site of the leak and dried it, and resealed it. Two days later it was leaking again. This time I decided to remove the entire door unit and completely reseal everything. This turned out to be rather time consuming. Removing the old silicone sealant is quit a job. Finally got everything back together, sealed and after waiting 24 hours for things to cure, all seems to be well. It looks as if it had never been removed.

oldmannj

Congrats on fixing the leak problem. More people in here need to take the bull by the horns so to speak. RV's all have their idiosyncrasies and need a little attention now and then. ED. :angel:

Theresau

Why do you think it began to leak - were there spots without sealant or was there a problem with the sealant itself?

We are on the 3rd week of a 6 to 8 month outing in our Bighorn 3570RS. Things have going good until my wife tells me there is water all over the floor in the bathroom. We cleaned it up and discovered it had come under the bottom rail of the shower doors. Being on the road, along way from home, I decided to reseal it myself. First I removed the sealant from the site of the leak and dried it, and resealed it. Two days later it was leaking again. This time I decided to remove the entire door unit and completely reseal everything. This turned out to be rather time consuming. Removing the old silicone sealant is quit a job. Finally got everything back together, sealed and after waiting 24 hours for things to cure, all seems to be well. It looks as if it had never been removed.

Bobby A

I had a leak that even the factory couldn't fix, finally at the Goshen Rally in 2011 the supplier of the doors/surround glass was there. I ask them to come look at mine and they found that the track was never snapped into place like it was suppose to. They fixed it and put a little bead of caulk on the outside and I have never had a leak since.

stevenssr

I had a similar issue. At the corners of the sliding door rails, there was a pretty wide open gap without sealant. Just sealed it up and didn't have a problem. But we ended up with water on the floor as well. Most of the water that hit the door ran down to the door tracks and leaked out at the corner joints. Anyway, it wasn't a big deal to fix.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Contrary to the shower stall "experts" at the 2011 rally, I ran a bead of silicone around the inside perimeter of the glass molding. I read about the leak problem before actually using the rig, examined it and saw the caulking under the molding was shoddy at best. Tested it with the sprayer and confirmed it. Hasn't leaked again since 2009.

tljack

Why do you think it began to leak - were there spots without sealant or was there a problem with the sealant itself?

In the area where the leak seemed to originate, it popped loose. There was very little there. The reason I took the frame out was so I could get everything dry so the new sealant would adhere.

mobilcastle

Just think it is a time to bond with your unit!!:cool:
Congrats on fixing the leak problem. More people in here need to take the bull by the horns so to speak. RV's all have their idiosyncrasies and need a little attention now and then. ED. :angel:

jake345

First trip in our 2013 San Antonio shower is leaking onto floor. I resealed interior of door rail on bottom of glass doors, it still leaks. Looks like water is coming out under shower stall onto floor. Will check it again in the am.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
First trip in our 2013 San Antonio shower is leaking onto floor. I resealed interior of door rail on bottom of glass doors, it still leaks. Looks like water is coming out under shower stall onto floor. Will check it again in the am.

Sometimes the water leaks between the glass rails at the sides and the lower corners. You might want to caulk the entire thing. If it is coming from under the shower pan, get in the basement and check the drain fitting. It may be loose. And there's also the possibility that the installed screwed the glass frame into the shower pan. That gave the shower stall guys at the 2011 rally nightmares.

wdk450

I sealed my shower walls/door with RVers Goop elastometric adhesive sealant in my first year of ownership in 2009. I haven't had this problem repeat since.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Our 2013 Trail Runner was leaking in the shower stall at the faucet and out onto the bathroom floor from under the shower stall.

On our first campout with the trailer, when I took the very first shower in it, the faucet just came off of the wall . . . the screws holes that held it in were all stripped out.

While it was in for warranty repairs, the dealership replaced the screws . . . but didn't put a gasket or any sealant where the whole thing attaches to the shower wall.

So the leak was still there.

It is at the dealership right now getting the last round of warranty repairs and being winterized, and this was on the list of repairs for this visit . . . again.

Notice the gap between the two screws where the back of the faucet bows out slightly away from the shower wall, which is where the water runs out of the soap shelf and down the wall to the floor under the shower stall.

ShowerHandleStillLeakingUnderShower-IMG_1359.jpg

The floor of the shower stall is real 'spongy' as well . . . Heartland refused to fix that as they say this is "normal".

But that is another topic thread . . .