Suburban Oven

I am having problems with the Suburban oven in my 2014 Northtrail. The pilot light ignites ok and will stay lit for hours if need be. I then turn the knob and the main burner lights up no problem. After about 15 minutes or so the pilot light starts pulsing with the flame going long and short and will eventually go out and everything shuts down. If I let the oven cook a little the pilot will light ok again. The pilot hits the thermocouple ok until the pulsing starts. Any ideas?
Many thanks

Bogie

Assuming you propane tank(s) are full, my first guess would be the regulator.

Have you tried turning on the stove top burners at the same as the oven burner? Do the top burners flicker also?

Is the furnace or gas water heater operating at the same time? If yes, try shutting these down and see if the problem persists. That might help you isolate the issue.

Thank you both for your replies. Just to confirm I don’t have any issues with the other gas appliances, the furnace stove top etc are all fine, the oven is not in a slide either. It’s a mystery as to why the pilot pulses on and off

david-steph2018

Our Furrion oven did something similar. It would light and burn for 10 minutes then go out, if I kept the door closed while heating up. What I found out was if I left the door cracked a little and let it heat up to around 140-150 degrees then shut the door, no issues. Why this works, don't know, but it does.
Give it a try.

Hollandt

Thank you both for your replies. Just to confirm I don’t have any issues with the other gas appliances, the furnace stove top etc are all fine, the oven is not in a slide either. It’s a mystery as to why the pilot pulses on and off
My guess if the stove top is Ok then it is probably an issue with the thermal safety on the pilot. You mentioned it was aligned with the pilot flame so it maybe a defective safety. Make sure the pilot flame stays aligned when the large burner ignites.

SLO

The thermocouple, when the pilot light hits it, creates a millivolt current to hold open the electromagnet. If there is no millivolt current the electromagnet is held closed by a spring. With the electromagnet open gas can flow though, when closed no gas. The thermocouple is screwed into the electromagnet. Sometimes the screw connection gets loose. First thing is see if that connection is loose and tighten if necessary. If it’s tight then replace thermocouple, it’s cheap. Even using some emery cloth on thermocouple sometimes helps. When you push on the oven knob in pilot position, you are manually holding open the electromagnet until enough millivolt current is present to hold open the electromagnet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We had a similar problem with our home gas stove. Went to RepairClinics.com, identified the problem and bought a new thermistor. Easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trw6142

My Suburban SRNA oven has a similiar problem. The pilot light will light OK, and the oven will warm up to the selected temperature (+/- 25 deg.), but when I shut it down, the pilot light goes out. I have replaced, in this order, 1) The pilot light assembly, 2) The thermocouple,and 3) the complete manifold assembly. No improvement after each step. The top burners all work normally. I am about to rip it out and and go wioth a different brand!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
My Suburban SRNA oven has a similiar problem. The pilot light will light OK, and the oven will warm up to the selected temperature (+/- 25 deg.), but when I shut it down, the pilot light goes out. I have replaced, in this order, 1) The pilot light assembly, 2) The thermocouple,and 3) the complete manifold assembly. No improvement after each step. The top burners all work normally. I am about to rip it out and and go wioth a different brand!
If you turn the oven knob to “off” out goes the pilot light
If you wish to have the pilot light on 24/7, then when done baking return the knob to the pilot position, not off

NewHopians

We have had the same issue with our Suburban range in our 2023 Bighorn. It was in the shop for some other issues and the tech could not duplicate the stove going off. I got it home and checked the knob for the range. Mine lights up when it is turned on. Taking the kob off there is a small magnetic piece that stays in the knob. Make sure that is tight and that it lines up with the red illuminated spots when you replace the knob. I have done this twice and when I do make sure it is aligned the stove and pilot stays on. The burner will lower its flame when the oven reaches the set temerature and come back up when I change the temp with the oven knob. Seems weird but this is how ours is working and stays on.