The Mysterious Leaking Bathroom Sink PROBLEM FOUND!

JanAndBill

For the past two months every so often our bathroom sink would leak, not a lot, but enough to get things wet under the sink. I've checked fittings, run water and couldn't find a drip. Last week it got worse, so now that we are home again, I took the whole drain apart. Finally found the source of the leak, the tail pipe was broken where it goes through the bowl and screws into the flange. As long as you didn't use the sink stopper, no leak, but when you pushed down on the lever to close the stopper, it allowed the tailpipe to give sideways just enough to let water leak under the gasket. Now if I can find the parts without buying the whole assembly. Have to leave again this weekend.

kkamshop

Re: The Mysterious Leaking Bathroom Sink

If you cannot find the parts would rescue tape work?

JanAndBill

If you cannot find the parts would rescue tape work?

Unfortunately no. The tail pipe is broken in the threaded part. The flange on top (what you see when you look in the sink from the top), is threaded on the inside. The tail pipe is threaded and comes up from the bottom and threads into the flange. Then there is rubber gasket/washer and nut that screws up against the sink bowl from the bottom that seals it up. The crack in the tail pipe is just below where it threads into the flange. The tail pipe is all plastic, so I may be able to glue it back together, but I would prefer to find a replacement. Don't think it will be an issue.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Its all normal sink stuff you can buy anywhere. Take the parts with you when you go shopping.

JanAndBill

Replacement drain kit $14.95. Took the parts I needed out of the kit and threw the rest away. Possibly the reason the pipe broke in the first place is that the drain plug was a tight fit, and required a lot of pressure on the lever to release it, which in turn caused side pressure on the pipe. Pulled the plug out and trimmed the plastic fins that fit down in the pipe, problem solved. Works easy now, like it should. Guess I'll have to wait to be sure but hopefullty that's the end of the mysterious leak.

Garypowell

J and B,

thanks for writing this had this exact problem with my last unit. Drove me crazy because it was so intermittent....now I know why.....and I can sleep better.

I hope the new owner is reading this.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Good to hear you got it fixed. I had trouble finding a tailpipe that worked with a sink that didn't have an overflow. Eventually I found one but not the local Home D in Port Richey.