Uhggg... I think I have a frame issue.

cgaskins

We have absolutely loved our 2015 Big Country 3650RL. We have traveled all over the United States with it. I would estimate in the past 8 years it has been towed approximately 40,000 miles. It is well maintained and taken care of, etc. and is our 3rd RV trailer and we absolutely love it. We love it so much that last January we put a ton of money back into it - new roof, new A/C units, all new hydraulic lines, new brakes, new suspension, etc. instead of purchasing a new one.

Now unfortunately, I suspect that I have a frame failure. When I hitch and unhitch to my 5th wheel hitch and retract the landing gear, you can visibly see the overhang area of trailer flex slightly compared to the rest of the trailer. By overhang, I mean the area of the trailer that extends over the bed of the truck. I have not started tearing into the front cap to see what is going on as that is a big job and I wanted advice as to how to handle and how to investigate. I know the unit is out of warranty. But I also don’t think the frame should be failing after only 8 years of use. Any chance that Heartland will help me on this?

Thanks.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We have absolutely loved our 2015 Big Country 3650RL. We have traveled all over the United States with it. I would estimate in the past 8 years it has been towed approximately 40,000 miles. It is well maintained and taken care of, etc. and is our 3rd RV trailer and we absolutely love it. We love it so much that last January we put a ton of money back into it - new roof, new A/C units, all new hydraulic lines, new brakes, new suspension, etc. instead of purchasing a new one.

Now unfortunately, I suspect that I have a frame failure. When I hitch and unhitch to my 5th wheel hitch and retract the landing gear, you can visibly see the overhang area of trailer flex slightly compared to the rest of the trailer. By overhang, I mean the area of the trailer that extends over the bed of the truck. I have not started tearing into the front cap to see what is going on as that is a big job and I wanted advice as to how to handle and how to investigate. I know the unit is out of warranty. But I also don’t think the frame should be failing after only 8 years of use. Any chance that Heartland will help me on this?

Thanks.
Lippert might. It’s their frame, not heartland’s

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Take pictures with the trailer hitched and unhitched, that show the areas that are flexing. Email the pictures to Heartland Service, before you start removing the trim, skin or cap.

david-steph2018

Thanks.
What you are describing is known as "Frame Flex". It could be a few welds in the area have broken and in need of repair.
If you get the covering off a mobile welder can do the repairs.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
If you use the search engine option here on the forum, you’ll find numerous posts and discussions about “frame flex”.
It was a common problem on lippert frames built in the early 2010’s

wdk450

Have the welder bring a number of steel gusset triangles to re-enforce the existing weld stress points. That is what the Heartland factory fix consists of.
BTW, there has been a lot of back and forth "finger pointing" between Heartland and Lippert on the frames issues. Lippert says that Heartland designs the frames and their company builds them according to Heartland's plans. So Lippert Says that the designs are not robust enough, and Heartland says that Lippert's welding is deficient. When Heartland was doing a lot of these warranty frame fixes at their Elkhart warranty service center, the story was that Heartland would remove the front cap, and a "flying team" from Lippert in nearby Goshen would come to the Heartland center to do the repair welding. I hope that Lippert has moved up to high-quality robotic welding machines for the current production.

rmeyer

Take pictures and send Service center. Take to Heartland Service Center. They will have Lippert do the repair. They did mine 4 years ago. No problems and was done correctly. It is more involved than putting in a few gussets.