Washer/Dryer Combo install -- ElkRidge

Jim_Hull

Erica,

I know this was done about a year ago and it was on your former unit, but I have a couple of questions as I get ready to tackle my install this weekend in my Big Country. Number 1, how did oyu remove the blasted drawers from the dresser. For the life of me I can not figure that one out as I am not finding a lever on the slide that normally releases it. Number 2, I assume you cut or drilled into the battery compartment to route your drain line into that area. Is that correct? Have you moved this unit over to your BC or gone with something different? If so, since we have the same unit, anything you encountered in your install that would be good to know?

Jim Hull

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim,

We did move our unit from the ElkRidge to the Big Country. Since MCTalley had just installed theirs, and we have the same closet, I followed their advice.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...r-camper-today?p=466559&viewfull=1#post466559

I think we located the dryer vent lower than the marked place. The key for us was that we did not want it running uphill.

Here's a link to our blog, as well:

http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/2016_02_01_archive.html

We used quick-connect push-on fittings for the elbows for the pex drain line.

I am sure Malcolm can also chime in here.

- - - Updated - - -

There are little levers on the sides of the drawer glides. I'm not at the rig, but someone can take a pic and post. they are black, about an inch long and hide inside the glide.

And actually, directly under the dresser is the propane compartment. That is where we went down.

Here's some more photos of the chases removed and routing the drain pipe.

IMG_5093.jpgIMG_7848.jpgIMG_5086.jpgIMG_5085.jpgIMG_5084.jpgIMG_5083.jpg

Last edited:

SButler83

Looks good! Do these units typically fit through the main entry doors and into place without removing too much stuff? I'm looking at putting one in my Gateway 3650BH. I was thinking possibly that the bedroom slide would have to come out to accomplish this feat.

Thanks,
Steve

mlpeloquin

Looks good! Do these units typically fit through the main entry doors and into place without removing too much stuff? I'm looking at putting one in my Gateway 3650BH. I was thinking possibly that the bedroom slide would have to come out to accomplish this feat.

Thanks,
Steve

The washer/dryers fit through the doorways, but clearance is about an inch on each side. I did remove the bedroom door in our Big Horn to protect it and used a moving blanket (purchased at Harbor Freight) over the unit to protect the wood work. Use two people to bring the unit in until I got up the stairs. Unlike TravelTiger's first install, I used the front metal clips to hold the washer/dryer combo in place. The closet in which mine is installed in is very tight so I could not use the strap method. The unit has not budged in all the traveling we have done. Make sure the washer pan hose goes down hill so it can drain if the washer leaks. Routing the hose behind the chase and dresser took a bit of doing to make sure it was parallel or down hill. Our hose went out into the LPG tank area. Used hose clamps to secure the hose in the compartment, and some metal screen on the end of the hose to make sure bugs do not get into it. To remove the chase use a magnet to find the screw heads. Other than that it is simple. I chose to replace the water valves with a single handle one using shark bite fittings. The original ones were too hard for my wife to turn.

MCTalley

Thanks,
Steve

The front half of your rig is similar to our floorplan. I thought we might have to lift it over the bed to get past it, but it slid right between our dresser and bed no problem. The narrowest part of our washer's journey through our rig was that area and it is just over 21" wide. The Splendide 2100XC that we bought is just under 21" deep, so it slid through the bed/dresser area sideways no problem. I think we had to temporarily remove the knob on one door of the dresser to get past it.

Take a tape measure and check widths starting at your bedroom door back to the laundry closet and you'll see if you'll have any problems. It will definitely fit through the exterior door and up the steps.

prelucir

I found this forum because I was Googling how to install a washer/dryer combo. We have a 2017 Bighorn 3735 EL. I am supper scared to cut into the side of it. But the dealer wants $1750 for Splendide, that's installed. But I don't know if it covers the pan and other parts. It does cover the vent hole.

Thanks to TravelTiger, I might give it a shot.

danemayer

I found this forum because I was Googling how to install a washer/dryer combo. We have a 2017 Bighorn 3735 EL. I am supper scared to cut into the side of it. But the dealer wants $1750 for Splendide, that's installed. But I don't know if it covers the pan and other parts. It does cover the vent hole.

Thanks to TravelTiger, I might give it a shot.

Hi prelucir,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. It's understandable that you'd be scared to cut the vent hole, but a number of other owners have done so and I'm sure they will share their techniques with you.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Starting the cut from the inside:
308d73d50a0d6aa5b0efafcef98a6c72.jpg

Finishing from the outside:
ae3e9aad585826d551f4e75f931ed5e2.jpg

Done!
08c8389a54164aa7585283beadb7985b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prelucir

I did it. There is now a hole in my fifth wheel with a vent in it. I had forgotten that my neighbor builds houses for a living. He popped the hole in for the price of hole saw that neither of us had.

I bought the vent kit that Splendid makes, it is a tight fit with 4 1/8 inch hole. I am so glad we cut a piece of cardboard before we cut the trailer. I thought I had read that a 4 inch was required. Nope.

Now, do I really need a drain pan? Where does the washer leak from that a drain pain is needed? I have never seen a wash machine leak.

Also, did you bolt yours down or does it just sit in the closet?

Thanks,
John

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John, our washer and dryer are not bolted to the floor although the height of the ceiling will prevent any tipping. It has never moved.
A drain pan is cheap insurance. Although you have never heard of a washer leaking, I have, you don't want yours to be the first you have heard of that floods your trailer.
Spend the $60 to protect your $$$ trailer.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There are rubber hoses inside that are just slip-ons. Plastic water distribution assembly can crack and leak (especially if not winterized correctly). You won't know it's leaking until you find wet carpeting or water dripping off your king pin. Personal experience with that. I NOW have a drain pan under mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk