Whisper quiet ductwork problem...need info

NHCelt

Hi all. Trying to figure out an issue with front AC unit...freeze-ups and leak into the bedroom. Dometic mobile tech finds nothing wrong with unit and Dometic suggesting leak of intake and exhaust into plenum causing issues. In looking up into the ductwork, there is a three sided duct that sits on top of the ceiling panel...a c channel ductwork.

The ceiling panel is not insulated, and there is no caulking or tape sealing the c channel ductwork to the ceiling, allowing lots of leakage from the ducts.

That said, could anyone with the whisper quiet system please peek up into their ducts and see if they have more up there than I have! Can be done by removing louvers and feeling or peering in...

Thanks...also found that the front intake and exhaust as well as the rear intake and exhaust (front and back sets of vents) were effectively blocked by foam inserts that should have been blocking the ends of the duct. So far, moving those blocks has resulted in no freeze-ups tonight...first time system has run for 3 hours without freezing. I think this may have been my issue, (lack of proper airflow) but still curious about whether others ductwork is sealed to prevent leakage into roof space.

Thanks..
Celt

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BouseBill

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for, but we have a 3570RS with the whisper quiet. The front intake vents appear to be open, I can see wiring in a part of the ceiling.
The cold exhaust side of the system is insulated foam from what I can see.

NHCelt

Hi...thanks for the reply. If you were to either stick your and, or cell phone camera up in there, I am trying to find out if they left out part of my ductwork. I have a foam c channel duct... Top and two side, lying directly on the ceiling panels...not a 4 wall enclosed piece of foam ductwork as you would expect. Seems odd and Dometic thinks the reason my front AC leaks into the bedroom. Thanks!

NHCelt

I am trying to find out if the AC ductwork is a foam box with four sides or if it is a 3 sided foam c channel lying atop the ceiling panels and using the ceiling panel as the fourth side of the ductwork. The issue for me seems to be air infiltration. I am trying to figure out if my ductwork is not right.