Will changing to 5/8" Water Hose improve flow?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Remember the white hose is for potable water. I don't know if they make the white hose in a 5/8 size.

SilverRhino

Before I started using a whole house type pressure regulator I used both 1/2 and 5/8 hose....did not really notice any difference. I think the best bet for your flow and pressure is a good pressure regulator....then the only issue is making sure you are using a good quality hose.

Travel Safe!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Traveler
I use a 1/2" hose I purchased from RV Water Filter Store. I also use their regulator N55BG'. The hose is non kink with brass or stainless steel connectors. The Regulator has a 4-5 gal per min flowthru.

If your using the round inline regulator from Wal-Mart, Camping World or an RV Store they are 2-3 gal per minute at 40psi. Mama can't wash her hair or take a shower with that flow and pressure.

A 5/8" hose will not help the flow thru if your restricted to 2 gal per min.

If you order a hose and regulator from the RV Water Filter Store may I make this suggestion. Purchase the following:
1- Regulator N55BG
2 - 4ft 1/2" hoses
1 - 36ft 1/2" hose.
1 - 90* Quick Disconnect

Put the Quick disconnect on the fresh water inlet in the UDC and on one 4ft hose.
If you have or want a water filter/s connect them to one side of the 4ft hose.
Connect the other end to the water regulator.
Connect the 2nd 4ft hose to the regulator and the faucet.

The reason for the 2nd 4ft hose is because some of the faucets are underground, or some place that is difficult to put a Y on or connect your regulator directly to the faucet.

I normally place my water regulator on a board to keep it off the ground.

Some will reverse the filters and the regulator. With these hoses that would work also. They are tested up to 200psi.

Now just for kicks I have an additional 15ft 1/2" hose I ordered but rarely use it.

The only other hose you need is one to use to flush your black water tank. I put a shut off valve on the end of the hose and a quick disconnect when flushing the black tank.

This is what I do....
BC

PS... Please don't use a regular garden water hose for your fresh water. The rubber and Vinyl hose will leave a taste in your water. Yes I know I use to drink water from the water hose when I was a kid, but you didn't wash, cook and what ever with that water hose.

TaTaTa...

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A bigger water hose will only increase flow..not pressure. Pressure starts at the source.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Agreed that a larger water hose will increase the flow not the pressure, but if you are using a water regulator that has 2gpm it does not make any difference how big the hose might be. If your not using a water regulator, you should be. I was at a campground just the other day and on the counter in big letters was a note stating the pressure was 90psi and suggested using a regulator.

The 1/2" hose will provide plenty of water if you have a regulator like the N55BG.

Bob&Patty. this is not in contest to your post. I am adressing the OP that the size of the hose is irrelevant if a regulator can't pass the water faster.

BC

lwmcguir

I was wondering if switching my 1/2" Water Hose to a 5/8" Water Hose improve my Water Flow and Pressure?

Thanks

As per the other respondents you problem is most likely down stream unless you have very low pressure at the tap. Check the pressure there with a faucet turned on inside the coach. This will tell you if you have a restriction in your plumbing

Bob&Patty

No problem Bobcat. We are all telling the OP the same thing. I just didn't feel like going into a long disortation about it. BTW, electricity works the same way as water flow.. Going to leave it at that.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Yes it does.. It is interesting how much alike they both work in the same manner.

38 Years with Dallas Power & Light company company finally called TXU. 4 Years USN as Sonarman learning electronics then Oklahoma St. Tech in Electronics and Electric.

Too many years.

BC

Bob&Patty

Yep, heard that. Just try to stuff 100 amps thru a 22 ga wire. All I can say is POOOOOOOOF. Well, we let all the smoke out of that wire.

Last edited:

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
To the original poster.
If you want more water, check your shower head, kit. Faucet and lavatory faucet, inside the shower head and inside the aerators on the faucet should be a little white disc with a small hole. Put that in the trash can and you will magically get a lot more water at all 3 locations.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
By the time the water hits the coach, you're back to a 1/2" PEX line. And the plastic PEX fittings in the lines restrict down to about 5/16" (brass ones have larger openings). That creates backpressure at the fittings, which is why you WANT a good pressure regulator outside the coach. That, or be able to take a shower in the basement.