Will putting leveling ramps on back tires only cause damage?

Our spot is sloped so the front of the camper is higher than the rear. We have those ramps you drive onto and then put a little wedge under to secure. We put them under just the back wheels. It did help, but it's still higher in the front and now I'm stressed it's going to damage our shocks or something under there because it looks uneven just having it on one tire on each side. Do the ramps need to go on all 4 tires?

hoefler

You should use blocks under both axles. If you raise one axle/wheel to the point that it raises the other wheel off the ground, you can cause damage to the axle, spring, shock, wheel, tire, etc.. from over loading. We used Lynx leveling blocks and always under both tires

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ok so this is wrong...?? How do I get it leveled front to back then?
View attachment 69121View attachment 69122

Use the higher blocks on the rear tires then shim under the front ones with boards until they are snug under the tires. You could use a long level to find how much you need front to back to make the slope “level.” In essence, you’re making a long wedge to incorporate both axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post a picture of the front of your trailer, particularly the front jack?

Peace
Dave

Piperflyer

One thing when jacking the wheels off the ground you have to make sure your shackles don't fall & reverse, dropping your axles from their required traveling position. Picture Left Dropped, Picture Right Normal

Attachments

• Shackle.jpg
    Shackle.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Shackle1.jpg
    Shackle1.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 14

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn't you have just lowered the front of your camper rather than raising the rear?

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I took the tongue jack and the front jacks up so much they weren't touching the ground and the bubble still said the front was higher than the back.
I'm confused. You said raised the front and then said that it was still higher than the back.
If that the case then you should lower the front.

Peace
Dave

I'm confused. You said raised the front and then said that it was still higher than the back.
If that the case then you should lower the front.

Peace
Dave
Sorry for the confusion. I pulled the  jacks up, I didn't raise the front of the camper. The front is higher than the back. I "lowered" the front so much the jacks no longer touched the ground. The front is still higher. Does that make more sense?

shackle in pic #4 should be the same as in pic #5; I would screw together couple of 2x8 boards stacked on one another with a tapered end to back up on; even a third one if needed & long enough for both sets of tires to sit on
Like this? Would getting another set of ramps be ok too? I feel so dumb for not knowing this. 1000019228.jpg

Roller4tan

I dunno...to me if the front is higher than the back and you can lower the front, why not lower the front??? I'm still lost.

hoefler

When trying to raise a tandem axle trailer, blocking one axle will only raise the trailer 1/2 the height of the blocking. If you need to raise it significantly, blocking both axles will raise it equal height of the blocking.

When trying to raise a tandem axle trailer, blocking one axle will only raise the trailer 1/2 the height of the blocking. If you need to raise it significantly, blocking both axles will raise it equal height of the blocking.
Thank you, hoefler. We'll remove the blocks for now and get another set for the other tires.