Yosemite National Park

We are full timers and want to go to see the Yosemite National Park. My understanding is our rig is too big to camp inside the park. Does anyone have experience in camping in the area. We have a 2012 Landmark with a bike rack on back. We need suggestions on routes and campsites. We are currently in Orange, CA. Can you drive thru the park with a big rig if you do not camp inside the park?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I think you will enjoy The park way more if you camp out side the park and do a day trip into the park in your TV It can be busy and overwhelming to take in all there is to see... You don't want to worry about navigating the narrow roads and all of the other cars and people. You wont be able to pull over and take pictures when you want to. I don't have a good recommendation of a park for you. I'll look and see what I can find and get back to you. DW and I got married in Yosemite 18 years ago. It is one of the most jaw dropping places on earth.

Look near
Oakhurst CA.
El portel CA. (we stayed at a RV park here 19 years ago LOL... not sure if its still there).
Groveland CA.
Those are the 3 main routes into the park.

Last edited:

Ducky

There a a couple of KOA campgrounds near Yosemite National Park. They are located in Coarsegold, CA and Midpines, CA

jrzygrl64

I agree - you don't want to bring your rig into the park.

I recommend staying at the Escapee SKP Park of the Sierras in Coarsegold. Beautiful park - great staff!

You to be Escapee members to stay there, but it's not that much ($40 I think) and the park is cheap - they had a special when I was just there a few weeks ago - $50 off a weekly stay - which is only $149 - so we paid $97 for a week! FHU's!

wdk450

There is a Thousand Trails Yosemite Lakes Preserve (they DO rent to non-members, or the Zone Pass might be attractive) 7 miles North of the North gate on Hwy 120. They are located on an old lumbermill site on a creek, and have a well stocked store with gas and diesel fuel. It IS 35 miles from there over a pass within the park to the valley floor.
If you don't yet have it, you can buy the Federal seniors Golden Age National Park Pass at any Yosemite gate for $10 lifetime. You need to be age 62 or better. It admits you, and everyone in your vehicle for free. These also can get you 50% camping discounts at National Forest campsites, and Corps of Engineers Campsites.

Now until the end of May (traditional school summer vacation)is my favorite time of year to visit Yosemite. The park is less crowded than in the summer, and the waterfalls from the massive snowmelt this year should be about the best it has been in about 20 years.

On edit: To answer your other question, YES you CAN drive through the park to get to outside campgrounds on the other side, but you will have to pay the entrance fee (or use your Golden Age Pass) If you pay the regular entrance fee, that is good for something like 2 weeks, so you shouldn't have to pay again during your visit. I would not plan on coming East to West from the Mono Lake area on Hwy 120. With the snow the Sierras have had this year I don't expect that pass to be plowed open until nearly July. The only other raod that will probably be snowed in for a while is the Glacier Point overlook access road.

Last edited:

pegmikef

A little off the subject, but the last time we were in Yosemite was when we had a tent trailer in the late sixties. I told the park ranger that we would like to camp in the valley. He took one look at me and said, Nope you have a military hair cut and a Fort Ord sticker on your vehicle. I am sending you to the higher up camp grounds because you would just get in trouble with all the hippies, dopers, and other riff-raff that have taken over the valley . . . so we had a nice camp site on the side of a hill.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
A little off the subject, but the last time we were in Yosemite was when we had a tent trailer in the late sixties. I told the park ranger that we would like to camp in the valley. He took one look at me and said, Nope you have a military hair cut and a Fort Ord sticker on your vehicle. I am sending you to the higher up camp grounds because you would just get in trouble with all the hippies, dopers, and other riff-raff that have taken over the valley . . . so we had a nice camp site on the side of a hill.

Guess I'd better get me a haircut! :cool:

Bogie

I don't have a recommendation for you regarding a place to stay, but as others have said, you probably don't want to drive into the park with your rig.
If you do though, be sure to pay attention to the restrictions on the various roads (both length and height). I am posting three links regarding route restrictions and conditions.
I don't know which road into the area you are taking, but if you use Hwy 120, pay particular attention to the third link where it talks about avoiding "Old Priest Grade" about half way down the article.

In the valley, I recommend you park your car and use the extensive (free) bus system (or a bike if you are so inclined). The traffic in the valley can be unbelievable, especially on weekends and the buses go nearly everywhere.

Have Fun. Stay Safe.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/restrictions.htm

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/Park-Access-Routes-Vehicle-Size-Restrictions.pdf

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c41113/Yosemite-National-Park:California:Driving.Into.Yosemite.National.Park.html