Diesel Fuel Tanks

scottyb

I have read the topic about the Titan OEM replacement fuel tanks. They sound like a great but expensive option. Any truck that I drive will have a toolbox in the bed, so I was wondering if anybody has experience with a toolbox with a built-in fuel tank. I am looking for one that can be integrated into the fuel system, not just a transfer tank.

jnbhobe

I just use an extra tank, I open up the valve and the guage stays on full till that tank goes empty then I still have 38 gal till empty on the main tank.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That one has no pump. It will need the Diesel install kit.
I have this one in a 60 gal. model.

Peace
Dave

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Like cookie and all are talking about..I myself have an RDS Fuel and Tool and Northern Tool has the best price. Purchase it and the fill conversion kit. I use it all the time and I have a Aux pump to fill my tractors and equipment from. I cannot run off the tank for a long period of time. If the computer in the truck figures more than 99.999 MPG then it screws things up. I have to turn it off for a short period and let the truck use fuel out of the main tank.

tmcran

I have been very happy with the 52 gal Titan. I need the bed space so the OEM Titan works great.

scottyb

Great to hear good reviews on the RDS tanks. I found them doing a Google search. Do you control the flow manually or do you have an electic control valve with the diesel install kit?

dbbls59

What you are wanting to do will depend on the truck you have. The new Fords will not allow this. Some one on the Ford forum reported that the seemingly endless fuel supply and the failure of the fuel gage to drop caused the computer to malfunction. Don't remember exactly what happen but if I remember correctly the truck went into limp mode.

caissiel

Been using gravity flow unit for years. F250 has elec valve, but usualy let dump hrs at a time with no gauge issues.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This subject has been discussed several times. I guess I am a bit different than others. My 45gal tank is connected to a valve that switches between the OEM 38 gal and the Aux in the bed by a switch in the cab of the truck. It also is connected to the fuel gage so I can see how much fuel is in each tank.

When I get low on one tank I just flip the toggle switch I start using the other tank. The fuel gage takes a bout 20min to show the fuel level if I am driving. When I start the truck it will tell me the level of the tank I am switched to with no delay.

They will send you all the installation instructions and the wiring kit to switch between tanks. You can go online and see the installation instructions at the link below.

American Tank and Tool Box, Inc.
930 North Highway 377
Pilot Point, Texas 76258

BC

Tool958

This subject has been discussed several times. I guess I am a bit different than others. My 45gal tank is connected to a valve that switches between the OEM 38 gal and the Aux in the bed by a switch in the cab of the truck. It also is connected to the fuel gage so I can see how much fuel is in each tank.

When I get low on one tank I just flip the toggle switch I start using the other tank. The fuel gage takes a bout 20min to show the fuel level if I am driving. When I start the truck it will tell me the level of the tank I am switched to with no delay.

They will send you all the installation instructions and the wiring kit to switch between tanks. You can go online and see the installation instructions at the link below.

American Tank and Tool Box, Inc.
930 North Highway 377
Pilot Point, Texas 76258

BC
I've got a TransferFlow 42 gallon tank in mine. I'd love to have an in-bed tank, but they're sure proud of them.

bdb2047

I have a UWS tank 44gal with toolbox.I gravity feed into main tank using electric valve switched with one of upfitter switches on dash.Have had no problems with truck or operation of tank.Has been in a year last trip was 15000 miles.

jnbhobe

As I said I have the RDS tank in the bed under my tool box. It is gravity feed hooked to an upfitter switch and like Dave I haven't had any problems in 22K, I do let the main tank go down to a little over 3/4 before I turn it on.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
I too have the tank/toolbox like Txbobcat, fromthe same people. I even moved the tank from the F-250 to the F-350 without much of a problem. Everything is integrated with my gauges when I switch tanks. Its more expensive than the gravity fill but my piece of mind on how much I have in both tanks is worth it. It is also good when the DW drives the truck to go shopping she can switch tanks without confusion - to her under a half tank is empty so she will fill up, here she can flip a switch. :)

ihsolutions

My new Silverado (from Classy Chassis) had the 90 gallon Tool-and-Fuel which automatically pumps fuel into the main tank when it gets low. Has it's own gauge inside the truck on the A-pillar.

However I later found out that I could not use any bedcover whatsoever (not even a soft Tonneau) because the tank sat right up to the trucks rails.

I had Classy change it out for a 45 gallon (same setup, no toolbox)... the tank is only 12" deep so I have 7' of bed left to use. It also sits much lower, so I can use the hard folding cover I wanted.

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
Take a look at ATTA tanks from Texas. I have a 30 gal that will fit under a toolbox and the filler neck is at the back.

Rick

scottyb

Take a look at ATTA tanks from Texas. I have a 30 gal that will fit under a toolbox and the filler neck is at the back.

Rick

Lots of good suggestions. I was aquainted with the owner of ATTA, Gene Hackett. He was a huge sponsor for drag boat racing and also a boat owner, and co-sponsor of several boats. He passed away a few years ago. I believe all of their systems are transfer types. One is manual and one is automatic. They are highly regarded among motor sports enthusiast.

I am re-thinking my OP, and leaning toward a transfer tank. Maybe these fuel systems are just too complicated to consider breaching the fuel system. Most of the time simple is better anyway. K.I.S.S., right?