Diesel Fuel Tanks

truknutt

Committed Member
My new Silverado (from Classy Chassis) had the 90 gallon Tool-and-Fuel which automatically pumps fuel into the main tank when it gets low. Has it's own gauge inside the truck on the A-pillar.

However I later found out that I could not use any bedcover whatsoever (not even a soft Tonneau) because the tank sat right up to the trucks rails.

I had Classy change it out for a 45 gallon (same setup, no toolbox)... the tank is only 12" deep so I have 7' of bed left to use. It also sits much lower, so I can use the hard folding cover I wanted.

Do you know the name brand of your tank? The height is my issue also.

Thanx in advance,

scottyb

I have the same setup but in a 40 gallon http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200370676_200370676 , plenty of fuel for more than a days drive. since you want one with the toolbox ,remember the more gallons less tool space, thats why I got the 40 gallon size..........Kenny

I have come to realize this fact. They don't show any photos of the open tool boxes. How would you rate the quality of them, say compared to a Rawson-Koenig or a Weather Guard, or other high quality tool box?

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Classy Chassis uses ATTA Tanks. They are very good quality tanks, great people to deal with. I had one in my previous truck and now have one on my current truck.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One of the thing about the tanks from Amercan Tank is they allow room for Ta

From their Question page.
Will these tanks work with my tonneau cover?
Most of our tanks (without toolbox) will work with a tonneau cover. We do offer one toolbox tank combo that is designed to work in a long bed with a bed cover. It was specifically designed to work with a "Roll Type" cover but it will work with most frame mounted soft covers and hard covers that stay on top of the bed.

And their installation kit are DOT approved:
Why do I need an installation kit?
There are many ways in which to install an auxiliary fuel tank. Our installation kit provides you with an easy to install, reliable and DOT approved method to operate your new auxiliary tank. We believe that our kit is the most reliable, cost effective and easy to service kit available anywhere. You should note that gravity feed tanks are never DOT approved and are unsafe

BC

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have come to realize this fact. They don't show any photos of the open tool boxes. How would you rate the quality of them, say compared to a Rawson-Koenig or a Weather Guard, or other high quality tool box?

I have to say there tank/toolbox is very well made, toolbox area/lid is as good or better than any I have had before. I looked at all the other tanks mentioned ,I just could't see hundreds more for bells and whistles, when all I wanted to do is increase my range. I have found with the gravity fill system if turned on at almost empty it will fill tank at a rate faster than what truck is using , so can't see where a pump would be of any benefit.
When starting a trip with the tank turned on, at about the 3 hour range ,the fuel gauge will stop working ,because of to many miles per gallon. If you turn the truck off before that happens it resets or if the tank runs dry it will reset as the main tank starts to drop, no biggy in my book. I think the RDS tanks are the best bang for the bucks , if you want gadgets you will need to buy something else..........Kenny

P.S the quote above about the gravity system not being DOT approved is BS. This has been hashed out on many truck forums,like is my truck big enough.

caissiel

Drop tank setups do not need dot approval, compated to pumped units do.
That is the diference for diesel fuel.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2