12 Volt Done - Anyone See Issues?

Squirlee

I just finished my 12 volt wiring. I didn't run the converter through a circuit breaker on the 12 volt positive side. I know it ran backwards through the circuit breaker when it was mounted behind the basement wall but I don't think the circuit breaker really does anything since there are 40 amp fuses in the converter?

Anyone see any issues?

IMG_20180825_182414.jpg

Thanks

wdk450

Maybe the original Heartland engineering thought was that it would be much easier to reset an accessible circuit breaker than replace relatively inaccessible fuses in the converter/charger. How many owners carry the special converter 12 volt fuses?

Squirlee

Maybe the original Heartland engineering thought was that it would be much easier to reset an accessible circuit breaker than replace relatively inaccessible fuses in the converter/charger. How many owners carry the special converter 12 volt fuses?

True enough although I have some because I blew one already when I first got the trailer. They aren't that common of a fuse.

danemayer

What protects your coach in the event of a short circuit in the wiring between battery and fuse box?

mlpeloquin

What protects your coach in the event of a short circuit in the wiring between battery and fuse box?

That is a good question. What gauge wire was it wired with? How much current can it take before it becomes a fire hazard? With a short or partial short it could be a big problem. He could add an inline fuse to the output. I did on mine.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think you’re making a mistake not to have the various ATC and mini-ATC fuses your rig or tow vehicle might need on hand. They’re relatively cheap and just might save you a major headache.

Like a lot of things, better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirlee

The wire to the fuse box is still running through a 50a circuit breaker. The top breaker goes to the fuse box. The middle breaker is for the hydraulic pump. I think the bottom is for the breakaway switch.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a good question. What gauge wire was it wired with? How much current can it take before it becomes a fire hazard? With a short or partial short it could be a big problem. He could add an inline fuse to the output. I did on mine.

The main battery cables are 2 gauge. The others are all 6 gauge. Same as factory. The only difference is I used copper lugs on everything. I also shortened the wire lengths significantly.

jbeletti

You may want a cut-off switch between the battery and the inverter. In the beginning, Heartland didn't have one there. Down the road, they went to having one. I believe the inverter may have some parasitic draw and a cut-off switch on the DC input eliminates that when one in storage. So it just depends on your use case.

If you added one, you'd want to move your converter output off the DC input side of the inverter and over to the battery.

Squirlee

You may want a cut-off switch between the battery and the inverter. In the beginning, Heartland didn't have one there. Down the road, they went to having one. I believe the inverter may have some parasitic draw and a cut-off switch on the DC input eliminates that when one in storage. So it just depends on your use case.

If you added one, you'd want to move your converter output off the DC input side of the inverter and over to the battery.

The same type of switch as the one that is already there? I could do that and moving the converter + down to the battery is easy enough. Thanks.

Todster

Not trying to start anything, but where’s the isolation between the batteries and the power wiring? Thinking hydrogen off gassing?

I could be wrong. Not trying to derail the install. Just asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Squirlee

Not trying to start anything, but where’s the isolation between the batteries and the power wiring? Thinking hydrogen off gassing?

I could be wrong. Not trying to derail the install. Just asking.

You aren't derailing at all. That is why I am asking for input. I have the battery cover but left it off for the pic because it is tall and covers up the wiring on the wall behind the batteries. Thanks.

danemayer

Two cutoff switches allows you to cut off power to the refrigerator's power circuits without shutting off the whole coach, and to cut power to the rest of the coach without losing power to the refrigerator.

While not critical, you might find it useful to have two cutoffs.

Squirlee

Switch ordered and converter positive moved to battery so new cutoff doesn't effect charging.

For battery monitoring what is the preferred method of measuring current? Shunt or Hall sensor?

EDIT - And one thing I noticed is the breakaway switch shouldn't have the capability of being switched off? I questioned this when planning the wiring but decided to do it as it was from new. Am I correct that the switch shouldn't have the ability to be shut off?

danemayer

- And one thing I noticed is the breakaway switch shouldn't have the capability of being switched off? I questioned this when planning the wiring but decided to do it as it was from new. Am I correct that the switch shouldn't have the ability to be shut off?

The emergency breakaway switch typically gets power independent of the cutoff switches. If someone turns the switches OFF without giving thought to the breakaway, you still want it to have power. Also a good idea to have an auto-circuit breaker on that line in case the switch melts down - which they sometimes do after being powered for a few minutes.

Squirlee

The emergency breakaway switch typically gets power independent of the cutoff switches. If someone turns the switches OFF without giving thought to the breakaway, you still want it to have power. Also a good idea to have an auto-circuit breaker on that line in case the switch melts down - which they sometimes do after being powered for a few minutes.

Thanks Dane. I will run a separate line to the breakaway. It is on a 50 amp auto-circuit breaker so I should be good there.

Todster

You aren't derailing at all. That is why I am asking for input. I have the battery cover but left it off for the pic because it is tall and covers up the wiring on the wall behind the batteries. Thanks.

Very cool. I get the reasoning why. And I did forget the obvious. GOOD JOB. There is so little recognition for those that want to do on their own these days. I feel we live in a drop off the trailer world and so many things are easily achievable on our own with just a little t me and patience.

Again it looks good.