12 Volt Lighting Dimming

rncap

We have 2008 Big Horn 3400RL and find that in the evening when trying to read, the 12 volt lighting will continually dim & brighten cycling about every 30 minutes. Our rig only has one 12 Volt battery that is in top shape. The inverter seems to maintain the charge and the incoming Line voltage is OK. It has done this since new. Any Ideas???? Mac. Canada

Willym

This fluctuation seems to be too frequent to be caused by your converter's Charge Wizard, unless it is malfunctioning. Check the voltage at the battery, (it should be around 13.6 volts when the Charge Wizard is operating in Normal Mode) and see what happens to the voltage when your lights dim/brighten. I can't think of another load that could be fluctuating at this frequency. What other 12 volt loads are you running? An inverter (to get 120vac from 12vdc) perhaps? Is your water pump cycling on and off?

You could try shutting off the converter (open the circuit breaker for it in the power centre) and see how the lights fair when supplied from the battery alone. If the lights are more stable then the problem is being caused by the converter. This will also tell you how good your battery really is.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With a Charge Wizard indicator pendant (no, I'm not saying run out and get one), you can tell what the converter is doing. With mine, the lights brighten and stay that way for a few minutes when the indicator shows the converter is in boost mode (steady indicator light). Usually happens once at night, with several 12V lights on. When it's done, the lights dim and the indicator goes back to blinking every few seconds. It does not happen every 30 minutes, however.

I'll guess that you have a PD9200 series converter, so here's the manual for it. If you have a different model, you should be able to find it on the Progressive Dynamics site.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/PD9200_Manual.pdf

rncap

Thanks for the help and the Operators Manual, we will do some more checking when we head south in Dec. Mac Cnada

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Our lights did that also since new....the converter soon went out during a 2 week Christmas trip last year. The new converter works a lot better and the lights dont dim. When the converter goes out so does the furnace and fridge even with 120vac shore power. (be sure to take a back-up battery charger on your next trip).

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have 2008 Big Horn 3400RL and find that in the evening when trying to read, the 12 volt lighting will continually dim & brighten cycling about every 30 minutes. Our rig only has one 12 Volt battery that is in top shape. The inverter seems to maintain the charge and the incoming Line voltage is OK. It has done this since new. Any Ideas???? Mac. Canada

I am not trying to be ugly but just so everyone knows for sure what you are talking about an inverter changes 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC. A converter changes 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC. I know you are talking about your converter and wanted to let you know so you get the terminology correct because if you had to buy a part and asked for an inverter you would get the wrong thing.