2006 Bighorn 3055 - need axle shackle measurement - hole to hole

Don3055

Currently out of state - needing to repair my torn shackle. Hoping another member can measure their shackle and provide that info to me so I can order part accordingly. Thanks

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The shackles are pretty standard. If the shackle is worn thru, you need to replace all of them. Either install a wet bold kit or the "never lube" shackles and bushings. Either kits comes with thicker shackles....just make sure you replace the bushing in the spring eyes. Its not a hard job, just need 2 jacks and remove the wheels. BTW, always leave the trailer hooked to the truck when doing this. Bad things can happen if you dont. Most RV stores should have these or a spring shop. You could order them from Lippert, they installed the shackles.

Don3055

Thanks Bob, I had to leave my rig down in south texas (I live in central Oklahoma) and had taken a quick measurement of the overall shackle length prior to doing any research and then returning home. Since then I have found there are several length links in the ball park of my original estimate. I did not measure the link precisely (center of hole to center of hole). I was hoping someone out there could relate a more precise measurement versus me traveling 600 miles south to remeasure. Thanks for the recommendation and I agree with your perspective.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It really is not critical that you have the exact shackle. I know of a few people that have gone to a shorter shackle with no adverse issues.
The only thing is your rig could be about 1/2 inch higher or lower. Depending on what was there and what you replace with.
2.5 - 3 inch will work.
Where in S Texas is your rig?

Peace
Dave

Don3055

Our fifth wheel is in Aransas Pass. After three weeks of cold and wet we decided to come home from our "Winter Texan" location for a few days. I have since contacted Lippert, who provided me with their recommendation limited by my inability to provide exact axle serial number off the data plate. I must admit they spent about 20 minutes with me over the phone engaging a couple of their technicians. I would give them high marks for their effort. They even supplied me with an email of the engineering drawing of their recommendation. The hole to hole measurement on the recommended part is 3.13" and 4.375" on the shackle link. Seems about 0.375" longer than my original hasty tape measure guesstimate. Still researching at this point. Thanks

Gary521

I just went to a local trailer repair place and they had the 3-1/8" hole center shackles. I have a 3055. However, if I was going to do it again, I would get the heavy duty ( thick ) shackles for the wet bolts.

Don3055

I agree with the thick shackle link/plate. I will probably have a two stage process. First - get it safe to make the 600 mile trek back to my home location for further repair. Second - evaluate a good long term solution to upgrade the components. I have learned a lot in the last couple of days.

Gary, did you replace yours with the 3-1/8? Thanks

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My wet bolt kit came with the thick shackles and new bolts. About $65 complete. I didnt care if they were a little longer cause its what Lippert sent me. They have been on the Horn for 3 years now with no problems. JMHO, I think you are over thinking this. If they were 2" longer that might be a problem. 1/4 to a 1/2" wont matter at all.

Don3055

Thanks guys, this forum is a great tool for RV owners. I appreciate the help. I have been offline a couple days, and have purchased bolts, links equal to lippert's recommendation. Next step - in about a week back to texas and install toward trek home in late April or March. Will post progress, thanks again to all.