2008 Cyclone 4012 axle & spring upgrade

williaml

Curious if anybody has upgraded or replaced the cheap and under rated axles on their 4012 along with the springs? If so, what did you replace them with or do you have any recommendations? I did upgrade the tires and wheels 3 1/2 years ago which took care of the constant blown tires, 22 tires in 14 months to be exact after I bought it brand new. I have had 3 times while driving that I have lost an entire wheel/hub assembly, a miracle that nobody has been killed, so I figure before it happens again I need to go ahead and replace them. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

crazybanshee

I replaced the springs with 6 leaf #3500 spring pack. Last time I weighed the rig the axles were not overloaded. #4500 on the hitch and 15K on the axles.

williaml

I like the Mor/ryde system. Have you installed that yourself? I am looking to replace the axles with 3 7000lb ones, replacing the ones that Heartland over rated and then sent new decals for the proper rating, and leaf springs as well with 3500lb ones. I don't mind spending the money. I use the unit very often and put a lot of miles on it.

danemayer

Hi williaml,

2008s have been on the road for quite a while and it sounds like you've had quite a few failures over those years. Did your wheel/hub failures just start happening recently? After all these years/miles, what's recently caused you to think you need higher capacity axles?

crazybanshee

Sounds like your rig is overloaded. I have 60k miles on our trailer with the factory #5200 axles. Pack bearings yearly with not any problems.

williaml

The first incident happened a year after I bought the unit and I do keep up with it regularly. We do use it often so I try to pay attention to things. I know the unit is not over loaded. I only have about 1000lbs in the cargo area and rarely carry water in it. The front axle has had each assembly on both sides come off and earlier this year the rear axle passenger side. Crazy Banshee, you stated that you changed your leaf springs, why did you do that?

rvv

CrazyB, I have an '08 Cyclone 3912. Already switched to 16" wheels/tires. Where did you get the 6 leaf packs? Did they require longer U-bolts? Appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks, RVV

crazybanshee

Lance I bought them from a trailer repair shop here in Denver. Some times the factory u-bolts are long enough if you can get them loose. Sometimes they need to be cut off. The problem is most springs are made in China with cheap steal that does not hold its arch.