2010 305RW Using 2 6volt gel cells

ccupton

Does any know of a company that sells a 6 volt gel type battery. I want to switch to two 6 volt batterys but am concerned about venting standard 6 volts.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
ccupton, I've moved your question into an area that should get you an answer pretty quickly. You had originally had it in a factory area and that is a question that the factory probably wouldn't respond to. That said, I don't know much about the gel cells and their venting requirements but your existing battery area should have adequate ventilation for 2 sixes as long as they fit the compartment.

GOTTOYS

If they don't fit in you std. battery compartment you can put them in the front storage compartment in vented battery boxes, run the vent hoses to a "T" fitting and connect them to the battery vent already on the front of the coach. No difference in venting 6 volts than there is in venting 12 volts. I believe the gel cells are sealed and do not need to be vented if you go with them. They are really expensive though if you can find them. In any event be sure to secure the batteries in place with a strap of some type. Don

branson4020

Icantre Member
Gel-cells are not that common, and pretty expensive. If you want a sealed battery, I would recommend AGM-type batteries.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I switched to 2 sealed 6 volt AGM batteries. Full River brand, DC2246. They fit in my original compartment, sideways. Had to do some additional bracing of the support floor. I was concerned about the venting issues as well. I've been very pleased with how long of a run-time we get with them. They are expensive, but should last 10 years or more with proper care.

sunflower

Are they the correct application?How do they recover from deep discharge cycles,what is the duty cycle,ampacity compared to 6 volts golf cart type batteries,is the built in charger capable of correct charging cycles versus a wet cell.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Are they the correct application?How do they recover from deep discharge cycles,what is the duty cycle,ampacity compared to 6 volts golf cart type batteries,is the built in charger capable of correct charging cycles versus a wet cell.
The batteries Deb is talking about are true deep-cycle and in all respects direct replacements for Trojan T105 batteries with the same capacity. AGM batteries have the same charging profile as wet cells. The built-in converter charges them just fine.

slmayor

Thanks Bob! I was at work and couldn't answer this. Yes, they are in most all aspects the same as the T-105s. No out-gassing, so I didn't have to build an enclosed battery box. Added perk, no maintenance either. :) Added work of paying attention to charge/discharge cycles is the only drawback I can find, but you need to do that with any 6 volt.
I can tell you that they charge up fairly fast to about 80% then it seems to take awhile for that last 20%. They do not charge as fast as my single 12v did. But, they last immensely longer as well. We were 5 weeks in the yard with parasitic draws and still between 1/3 to 2/3 of battery life left. The 1st week parked we also ran the refer on gas, with the control panel drawing 12v. We are very satisfied, even if the price made me choke... LOL
We should add solar in the next month or so, so will see how they really work with a good monitoring system. Me working at an RV parts store is a little akin to hiring a drug addict to work at a pharmacy...LOL

porthole

Retired
Just got done putting two 6 volt Gel batteries in the Cyclone (3010, same chassis as the 305). Will have a few pictures in the "Mods" thread soon.

Gel-cells are not that common, and pretty expensive. If you want a sealed battery, I would recommend AGM-type batteries.

I think AGM's are more expensive then Gel's

branson4020

Icantre Member
Just got done putting two 6 volt Gel batteries in the Cyclone (3010, same chassis as the 305). Will have a few pictures in the "Mods" thread soon.

I think AGM's are more expensive then Gel's

Here is a quick primer on the differences. It's not uncommon for people to confuse the nomenclature, as I suspect the OP has.

slmayor

Great link, Bob. I'll offer one other piece of advice, as we deal with these battery issues on a daily basis. If you're going to switch to a true deep cycle use battery, like the Trojan T-105's or equivalent, be prepared to actively take care of them if you want to get the best use and longest life out of them. That means not drawing them all the way down to dead, monitor the electrolyte in them frequently and make sure you have an appropriate charging system that won't boil them dry. (not everyone has a converter with a charge-wizard built in) They will do best by being used, as they are made for charge/discharge cycling. If you have a charging system that offers an equalization mode, so much the better and it's good to do this on avg. once a month. (Many solar controllers offer this feature) Obviously, if you use a Gel or AGM, you don't have to monitor the electrolyte, but the other stuff applies.
I've had to retrain myself to not automatically plug in when we get home, but use the battery capacity until it draws down, then plug in. We haven't been dry camping since we installed the batteries, so have to give them a workout when we can. :) Hopefully with the addition of solar this summer, I can just forget about that as it will be automatically done for me.