2014 Cyclone 4000 End of the season... and well not very impressed.

sbuckman

Do not get me wrong, there are lots of things I do like about our 4000 but all the issues are really clouding the waters to enable us to say we are behind the camper 100%! To be honest I have to say we have had 3 Heartland Cyclones, a 2007 3795, at 2011 3812 and now the 2014 4000. Our experience is that the build quality of the Heartland Cyclone has dropped rather than improved over time. Both the materials and the workmanship are lower. This is a list of the issues we are going to our dealer with next week.

WARRANTY WORK

1.) Vacuum would not stop running. (Dave had to take apart the vacuum and hit on the relay switch to get it to turn off) this has happened twice and in an brand new unit this is not acceptable. Looked on the Heartland Forum for any others with this experience and here is a link (copy and paste into browser as I cannot force a link)

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...on-t-shut-off?highlight=central+vac+wont+stop

2.)Kitchen sink was falling out of counter top, had XXXX XXXXXXX out to the campground to fix in July. They put additional brackets on for support and put caulking around sink. The caulking was 'everywhere' and applied to a wet sink with water between the under-mount and the sink so it didn't hold. We had to remove all the caulking and redo. The sink still is not secured tightly and needs to be tightened.

3.) Oven is not functional. In July when XXXX XXXXXXX was at the camper, the technician determined that it was not a thermal coupler, but a new 'valve' had to be ordered. When I followed up with XXX in September he was not sure if the valve had ever been ordered. Oven needs to be in working order.

4.)Propane regulator needs to be replaced. Stopped into XXXX XXXXXXX in August to follow up on the oven and spoke with XXX; told him the regulator indicator only showed 'black' not green or red. XXX said he would order a new regulator and replace it when the oven switch came in. Nothing was apparently ordered.

5.) Holding Tank Indicators. We KNOW these are not reliable, however before we EVER used the camper and the tanks should have been 100% empty the indicators were showing the black tank as FULL, gray tank 2 as 1/3 full, and gray tank 1 empty. The black tank ALWAYS shows full and the gray tank 2 ALWAYS shows as 1/3 full. We would expect this to eventually happen with use over time but not before there was ever a drop of waste entered into the tanks. The sensors need to be replaced.

6.) Fresh water tank fill is EXTREMELY SLOW and rather than having water come out an overflow indicating when full, there was water POURING out from under the steps area and into the basement. Did some online research and found this on the Heartland owners forum. (again copy and paste into browser)

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...How-to-fill-fresh-water-tank?referrerid=16739

Also found a Youtube video of what someone else had happen that was just like our experience.

http://youtu.be/foGgRFz_Dls

The conclusion is the overflow hose is either not attached or that it is laying ontop of the chloroplast rather than extending through it. This needs to be fixed.

7.)The bottom of the paneling that curves around the kitchen sink counter is splitting along the bottom. It started out as just a tiny little split barely noticeable; however after only moving the camper to XXXXX and back (we were seasonal this year) the split has grown and over time is likely to split the entire height of the counter. This needs to be replaced. (We do NOT want it just to be stained as that will only reduce the appearance of the defect not fix it.)

8.) There is a LARGE defect in the bedroom wall paper. When we first saw it at the inspection, we were told it was just 'dirt' and could be washed off. I was not able to wash it off. This is very noticeable and not acceptable and needs to be replaced.

9.) The chair rail in the garage has warped and pulled away from the wall. This needs to be repaired.

10.) The inside base of BOTH long slides are warping and in some places are actually breaking. On the refrigerator slide you can see where it is actually warping under the weight of the refrigerator. See Picture:

​We modified the pantry area and removed the outside refrigerator (so the weight is actually LESS on this slide area. We use the bottom of the pantry to store cereals in sealed plastic containers. You can actually feel the 'dip' in the bottom of the pantry floor where it does not have support.

The following picture is of the slide with the sectional couch. You can clearly see where the base of the interior of the slide is actually breaking at the point where two pieces of the sectional meet. We are normal sized people and the sectional has only had normal use so there is not any reason this should be breaking as indicated.

Picture 1 outer veneer paper is peeling away from where the under wood substructure is breaking.

Picture 2 Actual break at sectional pieces indicating the failure of the interior of the slide.

Outside inspection of the slides do not indicate any type of failure at this point. It is difficult to tell without removal of the furniture, etc to determine if the failure is do to a poor design of not enough slide rollers to support the structure or a poor design of the interior sub-floor of the slide. It is also possible that there have been substandard materials used in the construction of the interior slide floor as it appears to be possibly a 'pressed wood' product.

11.) The floor in the kitchen area appears to be 'crowned.' When a level is placed on the floor it dips on both sides to the outside of the frame. When you are at the sink or cooking at the stove, you have the impression of the slide falling out. If a marble is placed on the counter top it rolls directly to the wall even with the rig being level.

12.) In July had XXXX XXXXXXX work on the satellite coax cable as no signal was able to get into the camper. The cable for the satellite is grounded out somewhere along the line. The technician said that a staple apparently was shot through the cable someplace and that the camper would need to have entire new cable ran for the satellite connection. He did a temporary work around and we have left that hanging out of the ceiling in the bedroom. We will not accept any externally ran cables on the outside of the camper as a solution to this issue.

13.) The padding in the benches in the garage have deteriorated/compacted to the point you can feel the bars dig into your legs when you sit at the table. This unit has only been used for one season and should not have this issue.

This is not warranty work, rather a complaint on the design of the newer units. The entertainment system that is in the livingroom are of the coach is extremely cheap and substandard. The system only has 30 watt per channel speakers and the speakers of the television actually put out more sound than the 'surround sound system'! Junk! Then the idea that it was 'surround sound' is laughable as the placement of the speakers themselves was ridiculous! Two speakers were over the kitchen side couch and three located in the 'wall' above the TV while the subwoofer was located behind the fireplace in the basement. This 'well thought out placement' resulted in the sound being louder in the bathroom than it was in the living area! Needless to say we ripped out the hunk of junk and replaced it with a new bluray player system.

The entertainment system that is being installed into the garage area is about as awful! You no longer have actual switches to select the speakers you want to use, you have to use the unit itself to select 'balance' to have where you want the sound to come out. Sooooo many times our kids were watching movies at night and playing loudly to the entire campground as the outside speakers were playing as they sat blissfully unaware until the camphost banged on the door! Lovely. The location of the unit makes it difficult for anyone under 5'9" to be able to read the darn output screen to see what is even going on! (I am 5'4" so out comes the step stool, now visualize my 9 year old daughter trying to run this silly thing and see what the indicator screen says!)

murphy

I am in total agreement I have a 2014 4000 also Heartland says its quality control is the "best in the industry" well if that's the case the industry has serious issues!! We took delivery on ours and during initial inspection found some issues that we wanted fixed, dealer said no problem but when it came time to fix it we got a few screws put in and and a lot of that's just the way it is or that's all the warrantee will cover. Heres the problems we had like you the surround sound works great in the bathroom but not so good anywhere else. The outside cable hookups don't go anywhere I had continuity testers on all of them after we couldn't get satillite to work it goes nowhere inside the trailer must be unhooked someplace. when I took the access panel off inside the storage area I could see daylight upon inspection there is a 15" x 19" hole they run the utilitys thru plus a 12" x 14" along with a 6ft long x 2in wide area all of them I could see daylight thru. The plastic underbody liner has gaps some 2" wide (this is where the dealer added a few screws and some fill a foam) How can you keep mice or insects out with that kind of holes and openings!! Every water fitting in the unit leaked (really every one) all of the drains leaked the shower ran a steady stream 1/2" wide out around the drain fitting!!! I had to take apart every access and tighten all of them plus all the water fittings. The fresh water overflows were like yours but with the gaps in the underbody liner it just kind of ran everywhere. The recliner on the end of the sofa wasn't bolted down and would fall over if you used it (the dealer did fix this). The ground fault in the bath pops if you are using the lights and the water heater kicks in (weird but the only thing that quits working is that outlet and the T V). Myself and one of my employees spent 12 hours fixing all the gaps in the access area and ran metal stripping along the underbody liner to repair all the gaps in it. Then while I was under there I noticed the brake wireing is exposed with no protection and were broken on two axles. Ive only towed it 800 miles in one trip all on pavement 800 miles and they are worn out. So we spent another 3 hours repairing and putting protective covers on the brake wires. None of these items should have left the factory. Quality control is non existant at least on the 4000s A slick advertising campaign sucked in another customer but it wont happen twice. Quality is the best in the industry I think not mine must have been built on a day when the quality control people were all home sick Duane Murphy

murphy

Oh I forgot We had a leak on the grey water tank and the black water tank drains extreamly slow (about 1/4 of the stream most have) I doubt it can possibly move the solids out (the dealer says its normal). The gas station fill nozzle wont shut off and the stereo readout doesn't work (dealer will order them). Too many problems for best in industry

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
The gas station fill nozzle wont shut off and the stereo readout doesn't work (dealer will order them).
The fuel nozzle is not like the one at the gas station that shuts off automatically!
I am sure you are disappointed and frustrated but please remember that while Heartland should be held accountable for construction defects, they can't be held responsible for failings of 3rd party vendors on items like the vacuum, oven and propane regulator.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dealers saying "that's all the warranty will cover" are just trying to not do warranty work. Call Heartland direct, and they will work to get your issues resolved with a qualified service center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

remoandiris

I stopped complaining about my 2014 CY4000 after a mod PM'd me about my bashing HL. Alas, I still hate the coach.

Good luck finding a factory service center that actually gives a darn about the issues. I hope my 3rd time is a charm, cause the first 2 didn't care. They will never see another dime of my money. Neither will HL. As the OP stated, QC is not high on HL's priority list.

murphy

The fuel nozzle is not like the one at the gas station that shuts off automatically!
I am sure you are disappointed and frustrated but please remember that while Heartland should be held accountable for construction defects, they can't be held responsible for failings of 3rd party vendors on items like the vacuum, oven and propane regulator.
I didn't buy them from the vendor I purchased a Heartland product If ford didn't check the steering then said sorry we cant be responsible we didn't build the steering box how would that work out. I realize its not automatic but when you use it you cant stop the flow and as hard as this may be for you to believe I am smart enough to let go of the handle. The point I was trying to make is if you advertise the best quality in the industry you have a responsibility to make sure every thing works correctly when it leaves your factory!! That is quality control Its not hard to do I can see missing a item but every fitting loose and leaking!!! Check things simple idea, nothing new just good business

sbuckman

I didn't buy them from the vendor I purchased a Heartland product If ford didn't check the steering then said sorry we cant be responsible we didn't build the steering box how would that work out. I realize its not automatic but when you use it you cant stop the flow and as hard as this may be for you to believe I am smart enough to let go of the handle. The point I was trying to make is if you advertise the best quality in the industry you have a responsibility to make sure every thing works correctly when it leaves your factory!! That is quality control Its not hard to do I can see missing a item but every fitting loose and leaking!!! Check things simple idea, nothing new just good business

Murphy, I totally agree. Cars, trucks and even computers are constructed with components originally built by other manufacturers. When something goes wrong with my Dodge, Dell Computer or even Samsung laptop where the issue arises from one of the components, I am not directed to the manufacturer of that particular component. The main company that has put their NAME on THEIR PRODUCT covers the warranty then it is up to the company to pursue any issues with the manufacturer of the components that failed.

We took the camper into the dealer today. We were told the by the dealer they have already been in contact with Heartland to determine how to proceed with our camper do to the fact the interior base of the slides are warped and failing. The dealer said it is possible the coach may have to be sent back to Elkhart In to be worked on. That would be fine with us, however I have to admit I am wondering about the additional wear on the tires that will result in having to transport the unit 2100 round trip with those wonderful BlowMax Tires. We have only put a total of just under 300 miles on the rig. Guess we will wait to see what turns up.

danemayer

Cars, trucks and even computers are constructed with components originally built by other manufacturers. When something goes wrong with my Dodge, Dell Computer or even Samsung laptop where the issue arises from one of the components, I am not directed to the manufacturer of that particular component. The main company that has put their NAME on THEIR PRODUCT covers the warranty then it is up to the company to pursue any issues with the manufacturer of the components that failed.

Is your RV more like a car because it has axles and wheels, or more like a house because it has a kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom?

The builder who put my house together was on hand for a few months to correct his errors. For appliances, he provided a list of warranty service contacts. The builder expected me to call the oven manufacturer if there was a warranty problem with the oven. He didn't make the call. He didn't authorize repairs. If I called him, he would advise me to call the appliance manufacturer's warranty line.

The RV industry operates more like home builders. For whatever reason it turned out this way, it's just not like the auto industry.

1231ChaseB

I totally totally disagree with any one saying that HL can't be responsible for what they put in a very expensive RV ! HL put it in there and are absolutely responsible for it !
chaseb

sbuckman

Is your RV more like a car because it has axles and wheels, or more like a house because it has a kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom?

The builder who put my house together was on hand for a few months to correct his errors. For appliances, he provided a list of warranty service contacts. The builder expected me to call the oven manufacturer if there was a warranty problem with the oven. He didn't make the call. He didn't authorize repairs. If I called him, he would advise me to call the appliance manufacturer's warranty line.

The RV industry operates more like home builders. For whatever reason it turned out this way, it's just not like the auto industry.

I do not want to give anyone the impression that I am bashing Heartland... I am not... I would have to say that the opposite is true as I am 'brand loyal' as this is the 3rd Heartland Cyclone we have owned!!!!! Heartland has historically been a wonderful company to deal with and we apparently must have liked the products!! However in going from a 2007 to a 2011 to a 2014 we have seen first hand the decline in both workmanship (cutting cost corners, as well as disregard of basic workmanship in some areas).

NOW... we are at the point in our quest where we are waiting to find out what direction is going to be taken for the repairs. SO the discussion here regarding warranty coverage is a DISCUSSION, NOTHING MORE... it is NOT saying that we have been told what is or is not being covered. I am making sure this clarification is in place so no one takes the wrong thing away from the conversation.

I am expressing my opinion by saying the practice of ANY company not standing behind their product 100% in the warranty period is bad business. If a component fails during a companies warranty period, I feel the component should be replaced and the company would need to follow up with the component manufacturer regarding the warranty that the component manufacturer provides. If there are issues outside of the warranty period provided by the company it is perfectly acceptable to have a customer pursue and issue directly with the component manufacturer.

However for your question, "Is your RV more like a car because it has axles and wheels, or more like a house because it has a kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom?" My response is, IT SHOULD NOT MATTER. When we lay out over $110K for something, we have the right to expect that the company that it was purchased from would stand behind the workmanship and materials that they selected and used in building their product. (AGAIN... this is conversation... I am fully confident Heartland will continue with their excellent record of providing service... no basher's welcome here! ;) But the company name is HEARTLAND RECREATIONAL VEHICLES, LLC ;) Also my RV has to be registered and licensed with the DMV, whereas my home does not.

However, we all need to be aware the following is in black and white in 'limited warranty' by Heartland:

Additional components which have been installed in the recreational vehicle, including but not limited to microwave ovens, ranges, refrigerators, leveling jacks, furnaces/heaters, DVD/CD players, air conditioning, icemakers, vacuum cleaners, televisions, hot water heaters, generators, power converters, batteries, and other items not specifically manufactured by Heartland RV, LLC, are warranted by the component manufacturers as detailed in their individual manufacturers’ warranties, and are not covered by this Limited Warranty. Copies of the warranties may be found in the product owner’s packet or by contacting Heartland RV, LLC.

Now going on the premise that the RV industry proceeds along the lines of a general contractor/home builder, most * will recognize an "implied warranty of habitability and fitness for use," which makes the builder-seller responsible for construction defects in the home that are not readily apparent to the buyer when performing a normal inspection. The warranty doesn't require the seller to build a perfect home, but one that is not below the standard that the buyer reasonably expects.

Again... lets all please keep this as a conversation... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lndeatr

I too had several small issues with my Cyclone when we bought it in 2013. I was able to handle most of them myself. Biggest issue was the water pump went out first trip. I also have the water issue. First fill nothing came out of the overflow but ran out the bottom instead. Luckily the dealer I bought it from went through it top to bottom before they turned it over to me and fixed several leaks, loose hinges, replaced the battery, and tracked down a bad ground. Even so, I have to say as much as I love the design, it did leave a little bit of a sour taste having to spend a bunch of time fixing things. For as much as I spent, I would expect better craftsmanship.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Expectations... If the RV is considered a "house", it is VERY cheap one. How do we expect sticks and bricks build quality for a house costing tens of thousands less? If it takes a sticks and bricks builder 2-3 months to build one, how can the quality compare to one built in just a few days?

sbuckman

Not sure what happened as I had pictures attached to my original post. So will try it again! Here are the pictures I had attached to show what we have going on.

7.)The bottom of the paneling that curves around the kitchen sink counter is splitting along the bottom.
Kitchen Sink Cabinet panel splitting.jpg

8.) There is a LARGE defect in the bedroom wall paper.
~Bedroom wallpaper defect.JPG

9.) The chair rail in the garage has warped and pulled away from the wall.
Garage trim pull away down view.jpg

10.) The inside base of BOTH long slides are warping and in some places are actually breaking. On the refrigerator slide you can see where it is actually warping under the weight of the refrigerator.

Refrigerator Slide Defect
Refridgerator slide damage.jpg

Living Room Slide Defects

Picture 1: outer veneer paper is peeling away from where the under wood substructure is breaking.
Sofa slide damage 2.jpg

Picture 2: Actual break at sectional pieces indicating the failure of the interior of the slide.

Sofa slide damage.jpg

Hopefully these will help to see what we are talking about.

Attachments

• ~Kitchen Sink Cabinet panel splitting.JPG
    ~Kitchen Sink Cabinet panel splitting.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 119

sbuckman

We too have 'fixed' several issues ourselves while we were using the camper this season. The biggest issue was the bathtub leaking directly into the underbelly. It was discovered that the tub flange that came with the camper had too much of a bevel to allow the flange to seal completely so we had to get a different flange. Once that was done we were gold.

oscar

Expectations... If the RV is considered a "house", it is VERY cheap one. How do we expect sticks and bricks build quality for a house costing tens of thousands less? If it takes a sticks and bricks builder 2-3 months to build one, how can the quality compare to one built in just a few days?

Really? At $200+++ per square foot I would expect quite a bit......

murphy

maybe that's ONE of our problems I have retightend it resealed it and when we went out this weekend it still leaked Ill take it out again and check the bevel. Thanks on this one Hey while you were in there did yours have the giant holes thru to the underbelly or is mine the only one that has straight thru mouse access?

sbuckman

Well, still waiting for a decision on how the repairs on our 4000 are going to be approached. I have to say I hope that Heartland allows the camper to be fixed locally. I have full confidence in our dealer and the shop and know they will give it 100%

I too had several small issues with my Cyclone when we bought it in 2013. I was able to handle most of them myself. Biggest issue was the water pump went out first trip. I also have the water issue. First fill nothing came out of the overflow but ran out the bottom instead. Luckily the dealer I bought it from went through it top to bottom before they turned it over to me and fixed several leaks, loose hinges, replaced the battery, and tracked down a bad ground. Even so, I have to say as much as I love the design, it did leave a little bit of a sour taste having to spend a bunch of time fixing things. For as much as I spent, I would expect better craftsmanship.

Honestly I'm the same way with mine! Ironically enough I had the same issue with the freshwater tank over flow draining from the underbelly instead of the overflow outlet at the UDC. I think this is an QA issue that has been overlooked.