2015 Duramax Fuel excessive fuel consumption

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the sudden level drop in very few miles, I'm still thinking the fuel sender or maybe the gage. Watching the DIC for the fuel used, is that showing a fast drop or is it just the gage on the IP?

The fuel sender float is essentially a thin wire with a float on the end. If it gets bend or stuck, the gage will read wrong. When I replaced the OEM fuel tank with a larger 56-gallon mid-line tank, they had to adjust it a couple of times to get it to work correctly again. It still reads full until I've used several gallons and then it drops. It doesn't get accurate until about 3/4 tank. That's why I always reset the DIC reading when I fill up.

DirtyMax88

Good morning everyone. Just an update. Stop on the way home and put fuel in the truck. It took less then 2 gallons. I guess when i flipped my aux switch to transfer fuel (thinking I was actually filling the truck up), it only added a little fuel and then transferred the excess back into the aux tank. Seems like all of you that said it's in the sending unit somewhere, were correct. I am going to drop it off at the dealership today and get them to take care of it. Weird to me that something like this would happen to a truck that's only a few years old. I appreciate all the comments and insight. Thank you!