2950rk BC towing with a 2009 3500 srw

Does anyone tow with this combination- it is a 4x4 I am concerned about the clearance between the bed rail and the unit. The new trucks ride high in the rear. Your experience is appreciated.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Does anyone tow with this combination- it is a 4x4 I am concerned about the clearance between the bed rail and the unit. The new trucks ride high in the rear. Your experience is appreciated.

Probably not a problem. We have a 3670 on a 2009 GMC 3500 dually. The photo is at the dealership after they installed the 16K Reese hitch and hooked it up. Plenty of clearance.

Now, today, I helped guide a fellow with a Triumph 5'er on a 2500HD around a curve, after he caught the fence post. His rig sat so low on the bed that ants would be afraid to be there. He had a slider hitch in the bed.

fhollan

Combo!

My dually sits somewhat high solo. The hitch weight on your fiver according to specs is around 2288 lbs. By the time you get it loaded you could have it at around 2800 lbs. (20% of your GVWR). Once I hitch up, it takes the rear end down and it sits even. I'm sure yours will also.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I have had 2 dealers tell me that you want to have at least 6 - 7 inches between the bedrail of the truck to the bottom line of the gooseneck. We have had 3 trucks in the past 5 years and have set the fifth wheel hitch (reese 16k) to match this clearance on all 3 trucks and surprising enough the 5're have all been level and pull straight. Our current truck is a 09 Dodge 3500 4X4 single rear wheel that we have set the hitch as above. We only have used the reese 16k so having a different kind of hitch (slider or B&W), I'm not sure how to raise or lower that type of hitch. Nat

Last edited: