3300RLB Bike Rack?

rmchad

Heartland Owner
Hi Heartland -- my dealer is recommending a bolt-on 2" receiver for the rear bumper that I can connect a bike rack to (that they also sale) for 4 bikes. Is this a reasonable approach -- I don't want to risk damage to the frame.

Sorry, I don't have the VIN of the 5th wheel with me but can provide later if necessary. It is a 2010 3300 RLB -- rear bumper is a square metal tube that also holds the stinky slinky.

Thanks for the help!
-Chad

MurrayN.

Don't put any bicycle that you value on a rack that is attached to the factory rv bumper. I guarantee that you won't have it long. I nearly lost my bikes on a 3 hour trip once only to find the bumper was only holding on by less than an inch of weld on both sides, the rest of the weld had completely pulled the metal out of the square tube. This was a different trailer than my Sundance but the rear bumpers on all of these are meant for one thing and one thing only - holding a sewer hose! I made myself a bike tray that the bikes stand on and it folds up if need be. I bolted two plates directly onto the back frame and then an angle iron that the tray bolts to. The tray itself is expanded metal with a 1.25" square tube around the outside and down the middle. Cost me less than $100 to build and I never have to worry about losing my bikes or how much they're bouncing around on that long bike carrier arm.

Westwind

Your bike rack/tray sounds real good, can you show us pictures, I have a new Bighorn but would love a set up like that.

wdk450

I have just ordered a clip-to-the-ladder carrier for 2 bikes from Overstock.com. If the ladder is rated for 300 lbs, it should be OK for 2 bikes (w/ bungee cords and cable lock). On my last trip to Sparks, Nv., I put 2 bikes inside in the open area by the door/refrig. when the slides are in.

caissiel

I have used this rack in the pics, for the past 17 years, and on the second trailer. I installed a 2in receiver held by the bumper and the stabilizer frame without welding to the frame.
I figured that the stabilizer has no loads on the road and the bikes will not move once parked so the frame was a sure pick for my decision to use it. Direct push will never hurt a weld, its the hard twisting on the bumper that will make the bumper fail.

The bikes have been held in place with a bungy at each wheel for the past 17 years and about 100K miles.

Attachments

• Hitch Detail View.jpg
    Hitch Detail View.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Bikes on Rack.jpg
    Bikes on Rack.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 17
  • Bike Held With Bungiies.jpg
    Bike Held With Bungiies.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 17
  • HPIM9084.JPG
    HPIM9084.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 22
  • HPIM9079.JPG
    HPIM9079.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

MurrayN.

Sorry for the delay for getting my pics on here. This is what I built and it works very good for me. DSCF0001.JPGDSCF0002.JPGDSCF0004.JPGDSCF0005.JPG

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I have had the same bolt on receiver on three different units including my Elk Ridge. Have never had a problem. Had an SOB fifth wheel with fiberglass rear cap and used the ladder rack and hated it. Lot of vibration and bolts loosening on ladder. I bought my bolt on years ago at an Meijers here in Mi. was not very expensive at all.

MurrayN.

To be honest with you I have never traveled with it in the upright position yet as we always take our bikes along. If I remember right those arms come down about 8". The only time that I have folded the rack up is if I'm on a tight site where I need the extra 4' at the back.

DRGalligher

When we purchased our 2011 3055RL last August we ordered directly from Heartland the Hitch Bike rack and never had a problem. DH called the factory for the order. The item number is 50745 and it's called a Hitch Curved Bike.