50 Amp to 30 Amp

Riski

I have a 4100. My understanding is that I can go to a campground that only has 30 amp service and it would take an adapter from the pole to my 50 amp cable. I had such an adapter from an earlier rig. Went I went to see if it would work the 50 amp cable had 4 piece insert whereas the adapter only had three part female receptacle. Not being an electrician I don't know what this means. Any advice? Is there another type of adapter that accepts the 4 part 50 amp (male) prongs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
There is a "dog bone" type short cable 50 to 30 adapter. I'm using one right now. You can get them at any RV parts store. Sometimes the bigger Walmarts will even have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

I bought a starter kit and it had a bunch of useless stuff in it, I did not know better. The gave me a 110 volt (I guess 20 amp) to 30 amp dog bone for my fifty amp rig. Later I checked into a RV park with 30 amps only, they loaned me a 30 to 50 amp dogbone. It worked perfectly. My Progressive Industries Electrical Management system accepted the juice and my inverter identified it as acceptable power. We ran without difficulty, but we did have to be selective. When doing this keep your water heater on gas. We ran both AC units and the microwave without incident in this manner, I bought one the next opportunity.

What I would like to know though; is can you go from that 110 to 30 amp dogbone to a 30 to 50 amp dogbone? Seems like a stretch. But as the original poster stated, how does the thing work. LOL anyone want to buy a 110 to 30 amp dogbone? LOL

JeromyS

When my rig is at home I do exactly this: 110 3 prong to 30amp fixed unit -> 30 amp to 50amp dog-bone. Most of the 110v receptacles are 15/20 amp, so you can't run much without tripping the breaker, but all I use it for is to keep the battery charged up and the fridge cool. We don't run the AC while we're packing it up. I'm sure at some point in the future it will be better to install a 30/50amp RV plug for this purpose at my house, but it gets the job done while I'm storing the RV.

pegmikef

I The gave me a 110 volt (I guess 20 amp) to 30 amp dog bone for my fifty amp rig.

The only real difference between a 15 amp circuit and a 20 amp circuit is the size of the wire and breaker. The max for 14 gauge is 15 amp while the max for 12 gauge is 20 amp.