8000# Axle

laprez

Thinking of ordering the bigger axle for 3270RS.
Pros would be bigger brakes and more robust axle.

Any thoughts on pros and cons?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Some claim that having an 8k system will give the rig a rougher ride.
I went from 7k springs to 8k and did not notice a difference.
I haven't ridden back there so I can't confirm that, but who does?

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We just had the axles upgraded two weeks ago on our Heartland Trail Runner from 3500K axles to 4.4K axles, plus upgraded the springs and switched from 205/75/15 wheels and tires to 225/75/15 wheels and tires.

One week ago we used the trailer . . . and man what a big difference!

It towed so much better than it ever did since we bought it new 2 1/2 years ago . . . no more bouncing around and no more dragging over every speed bump, curb or drainage dip at just about every intersection here in Colorado!

However, we just traded it in for a new Heartland Prowler 5th-wheel trailer, so we won't be the beneficiaries of the work we had done.

But the new owners will have a beefed up Trail Runner!

Here is a before and after photo set:

AxleRepairBefore-P5090649.jpg AxleRepairAfter-P5090654.jpg

These new tires are being swapped over to our new trailer and the BlowMax tires that are on it will be put on our Trail Runner for the trade-in.

pegmikef

I had the axles upgraded from 6k to 7k on my BH and it pulls and stops great. I just thought that 6k axles were a little marginal for a 14k trailer even though 2k+ is supposedly on the truck or landing gear.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our new Prowler has 6000# axles on it . . . should be enough for that trailer.

Although after my last experience, I hope this is true!

lwmcguir

Thinking of ordering the bigger axle for 3270RS.
Pros would be bigger brakes and more robust axle.

Any thoughts on pros and cons?

We have 8K axles, 7K don't leave any margin which is why most of them sag, ride is better and safety is much improved due to less sway when passing or meeting trucks in windy conditions, have Air equalizers also

Breaking is at least 100% better as well

I would never tow a large camper with 7K springs/axles ever again

AAdams

We ordered ours with the 8k axles and bigger brakes. For the money I think that it was a good investment. The stopping is better than the previous trailer, and it tows well. You can get better braking and towing with the rally special of 8k IS axles and hydraulic brakes, but that is much more.