A/C Mod - installed the TimK "Tent" to redirect airflow

danemayer

Attached is a PDF version of the Word document John compiled from forum posts. (see post # 172)
Well it was 109 degrees yesterday so I decided it was time to try out the A/C "tent" modification that has been recommended many times.

Started with a trip to Lowes to pick up a sheet of 4" x 24" ductwork, tin snips to cut it, and a roll of metal duct tape.
The PDF file from the post linked to above is a pretty good guide - I just followed along to cut a strip about 4" x 20".
Shaped it as pictured and pushed into place. The details in the linked post/document cover it all.

Airflow through the vents is definitely improved. The living room feels more comfortable. The overhead fan actually moves cool air now.
Thermometer103.jpg
The sensor under the pinbox was reporting 103 at 3:49PM today. Temp on the slide wall in the rear corner (doorside) was 81. Yesterday, before the mod, it was hotter, but interior temp stayed in the 86-87 range until maybe 7:30PM. Today, interior temps were in the high 70s by around 6:00PM and A/C noise dropped enough to hear the TV.

Based on past experience, I'd say the modification was worth doing. Given that it was pretty inexpensive and only took around an hour, I'd say that in retrospect, I should have done it last summer.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I did mine not long after Tim first came out with his mod. I used a soda can , cut the ends out then cut it long ways, then a couple layers of foil tape to make it a little more rigid. It took a couple times to bend the shape to get the flow I wanted but really increased my flow . Well worth the time if one has little flow , esp. to farthest vent......Kenny

P.S. A beer can will work but found after drinking all the beer its hard to decide when to quit and then which beer can would work best.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I did mine not long after Tim first came out with his mod. I used a soda can , cut the ends out then cut it long ways, then a couple layers of foil tape to make it a little more rigid. It took a couple times to bend the shape to get the flow I wanted but really increased my flow . Well worth the time if one has little flow , esp. to farthest vent......Kenny

P.S. A beer can will work but found after drinking all the beer its hard to decide when to quit and then which beer can would work best.

ROFLMAO!!! :rolleyes:

danemayer

Update:

It's still getting to the high 90s by early afternoon and to around 100 by late afternoon. We've got 6 or 7 hours of direct sun on the doorside windows. Even with dual panes and their reflective surface, a lot of heat is getting through and the A/C has been struggling until the sun sets. Yesterday we got a couple of $2.97 emergency foil blankets from the camping section at Walmart, cut them to size, and used velcro mounting tabs to position them inside the doorside windows, the door window, and rear window. They're helping to cut the heat from the direct sun.

Also went to the bedroom and bathroom and used a half-sheet of paper to block the A/C vents there. The louver covers snap down easily, so I'll probably open the vents at night and close them during the day. With vents open, we don't need the bedroom A/C running while we sleep.

We're now getting an even stronger airflow from the living room ducts (I can feel the cool air while sitting down - no fans) and the hottest corner of the living room peaked 5 degrees cooler than yesterday.

rick_debbie_gallant

I am wondering how a "misting" set up would work. The thought is to mount it at roof level and let the mist cover the sunside of the rig. Either that or one of those "patio shade things hung on the out side and pinned at an angle to the ground. should provide lots of shade. ever though about getting one of those thermo heat detectors to determine where you hot spots are?

danemayer

Either that or one of those "patio shade things hung on the out side and pinned at an angle to the ground. should provide lots of shade. ever though about getting one of those thermo heat detectors to determine where you hot spots are?
Actually, I already have 2 heat detectors; one on the palm of each hand. :p Seriously, the direct sun on the windows makes them hot to the touch after a couple of hours. The reflective blanket material helps a lot with that.

I'm thinking about a sun shade or window awnings. Leaning toward the window awnings but have to wait until I get home.

Porkchop

Some really great ideas! It was around 96 degrees in Canada this past week and the ACs were working hard to keep up. We had guests in the garage and I felt bad they weren't getting too much air. The bedroom gets so cold when the main AC vent is closed up. I was considering closing up that vent completely since I have the second air in the bedroom. There is no way to close the vents up manually right now. Any suggestions on how to do that besides using tape (which I was considering).

Thanks!
Irene

Bksvo

There is no way to close the vents up manually right now. Any suggestions on how to do that besides using tape (which I was considering).
I bought three new air vents. They were about $7 a piece. I did need to use a rotozip to make the holes bigger to accomodate them.100_4169.jpg

jbeletti

Irene,

Click in the Line Drawing link next to the vent you are looking at to see all the dimensions. The "extension" appears to be how far the collar of the vent projects up into the ceiling. I'd think that generally, shorter is better.

That said, I saw one with a deeper extension that I may consider for one of my bedroom AC discharge vents as I've been wanting to make a scoop of sorts and a deep extension, carefully notched may work for me.

Bksvo

Yes, I ordered the 7/8" extension. That was just right to reach the bottom of the duct. The duct itself is a foam material, and the ceiling is the standard RV fiberboard. A rotozip tool worked great to cut the holes bigger. You will also need metal duct tape to reseal the space between the duct and the ceiling.

Jims idea of getting the larger extension and cutting it into a scoop has merit, as well. Of course you have to be careful about blocking too much of the duct for vents further down the line. On the last vent, in line, I plan on blocking the remainder of the duct with cardboard or metal tape.

Porkchop

Thanks. When we have the main downdraft vent closed in the living room, the bedroom gets ALL the air and is freezing. The livingroom small hole vent blows right onto my son's pack and play and the garage gets NO air.

I also got the second AC in the bedroom which I barely use except to get the whole thing cool. I wish there was a way to get the garage cooler faster (or just regulated).

I haven't read through the whole tenting PDF yet but I think its something we will try to work on maybe this weekend.

I'm heading to lowes/home depot and have a LONG list of things to buy...

Thanks!
Irene

Bksvo

Irene, I also cut in a 2nd vent in the garage. You might consider adding one to help cool it down.

Porkchop

Great idea. Any suggestions on how to go about it? I'm not the most handy person so I probably won't be doing it but I think I can convince my husband to do it for me :)

Irene

Porkchop

I found Duane's pictures of the second vent in the garage! I'll show Dh and see if he's willing to do it.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=123816&viewfull=1#post123816

Thanks all!
Irene

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Another small cheap mod you can do is cover the furnace return. That is just like having a hole to the basement for the cold air to escape through. . Another one is try covering the furnace registers also.

porthole

Retired
Another small cheap mod you can do is cover the furnace return. That is just like having a hole to the basement for the cold air to escape through. . Another one is try covering the furnace registers also.

Sometimes my basement seems cooler then the living room. Making a cover has been on the list.

iPhone using Tapatalk