A few questions for the 4200 owners

danemayer

You'll have to manage overall power usage in the coach to run all 3 units concurrently without tripping the pedestal breaker or the mains in your panel. And you'll find that your generator doesn't supply enough power to run all three units together, which is one reason Heartland put in the switch that limits you to running two at a time.

Randor

You'll have to manage overall power usage in the coach to run all 3 units concurrently without tripping the pedestal breaker or the mains in your panel. And you'll find that your generator doesn't supply enough power to run all three units together, which is one reason Heartland put in the switch that limits you to running two at a time.

I discovered that with a MH I had a few years back with 2 AC units and 50 amp service. I could run them both with shore power, but not with any other high demand items running like the microwave. The generator wouldn't even think about running both of them.

I am living in the Colorado Rockies so I don't rally see needing a whole lot of AC - but down the road 5 - 10 years I will most likely be back down south soaking up the sun with my feet in the water. Having lived in a MH in southern Alabama in the summer - AC is a must.

Randor

At least two breakers and you MUST be on 50AMP service to run all 3. There are a few caveats with the 50AMP Dual Pole ( probably not the right terminology ) as well. If your going this route, have a Electrician do the work to insure you are separating the amps between the two sides of the 50 AMP service.

I appreciate the information. If I decide to rewire - it will be done by an electrician. I know just enough about electricity to be dangerous. Tim the Toolman Taylor doesn't have anything on me....

Last edited:

OEFVET

The only change I made was having the front bedroom AC rewired on the switch so it would work with the garage AC. This way if it's needed for sleeping it's available for all. The middle AC is the one we use during the daytime so it works with the switch in the opposite direction.

Randor

The only change I made was having the front bedroom AC rewired on the switch so it would work with the garage AC. This way if it's needed for sleeping it's available for all. The middle AC is the one we use during the daytime so it works with the switch in the opposite direction.

That is the way my 4150 came wired. Garage AC is on its own line with the middle AC and bedroom AC on a selector switch. I will probably leave it that way and both sleeping areas are cooled when needed. I also think (don't know yet) that if needed, with the front and rear units on, the bedroom door can remain open along with the two doors going to the garage and it should keep the living room/kitchen cooled. Worst case, set up a fan to blow cool air to the middle section.

BLHFUN

Maybe they listened to the feedback. Mine was constant living room and either bedroom OR garage. What I wanted was both the garage and bedroom. I would agree the both bedrooms and a small fan to push from the garage should be enough to keep you cool.

mride460

I have a 4200 built in December '14. I can run the master bed and garage units together or the living room and garage but cannot run the master bed and living room units together..
So, you're saying the switch can be rewired to allow this? Good to know. Thanks.

Maybe they listened to the feedback. Mine was constant living room and either bedroom OR garage. What I wanted was both the garage and bedroom. I would agree the both bedrooms and a small fan to push from the garage should be enough to keep you cool.

jeffdee

At least two breakers and you MUST be on 50AMP service to run all 3. There are a few caveats with the 50AMP Dual Pole ( probably not the right terminology ) as well. If your going this route, have a Electrician do the work to insure you are separating the amps between the two sides of the 50 AMP service.

I have a 3110 with the bedroom and living room ACs, and 50 amp service. I also have a 12,000 btu portable AC in the garage using the single plugin for the washer/dryer receptacle. I was only able to run all 3 ACs for about an hour before the RV Park pedestal tripped the 50 amp breaker. If I ran just the living room and garage AC or just the living room and bedroom AC, the 50 amp breaker would not trip. Just wanted you all know that the 50 amp plug has two 110 volt legs. Obviously one of the legs has to carry two of the three ACs. That is probably what tripped the RV Parks breaker. I plan to run a 30 amp plug into the garage to feed the portable AC. Most RV Park pedestals have 50/30/20 amp breakers with receptacles. I will just have to carry two power cords in order to run 3 ACs.

I also put the fridge on gas and turned off the electric water heater to reduce amp load.

918rider

The ac thing was the first thing I fixed when I got it home. Took about an hour. Ac was wired with garage always on and switch between living room and master bedroom. I Pulled in another wire from breaker box to ac switch. I added an extra 20amp breaker. I added a switch, bought a double in one plate. Now I can switch both independently. Works for us as nobody usually in garage. The generator has been able to power both units with no problem so far. Have not tried 3, cant imagine it would work.

Also, since they are double breakers, I had extra free 20amp for back feeding the Inverter.