A shut off switch for my 12 volt battery

patrick1945

My 3055 did not come from the factory with a shut off switch and I would like to fix that. I will be disconnecting shore power for the off season and would usually disconnect the leads from the battery terminals. But it would be easier to throw a switch when I close it for the summer in Florida.

Does anyone have pictures and tips?

rpkeida

Alaska Wilderness
Good Morning patrick1945. I installed a battery switch on my 3055 against the forward storage bin wall - just aft of the battery comparetment. The switch can be reached by opening the large storage area bin. I installed the switch (from Harbor Freight, less than $10.00) so it goes between the + battery lead and the main bus bar. The switch is held in the "on" position by a spring lock, so it has never switched off in over 20,000 miles of road travel. When we place our unit in stotarge for the summer, we just turn it off, and all battery power is removed from the 5th wheel - no lp gas detector, etc. Works great and since it is still dark outside, I will try and get a picture added later today.

patrick1945

Thank you-I would appreciate the picture. Whereabouts are you in Alaska? I see on my HOME PAGE that the high today in Healy will be 15 and the low a -7. We love Alaska and especially Denali.

Good Morning patrick1945. I installed a battery switch on my 3055 against the forward storage bin wall - just aft of the battery comparetment. The switch can be reached by opening the large storage area bin. I installed the switch (from Harbor Freight, less than $10.00) so it goes between the + battery lead and the main bus bar. The switch is held in the "on" position by a spring lock, so it has never switched off in over 20,000 miles of road travel. When we place our unit in stotarge for the summer, we just turn it off, and all battery power is removed from the 5th wheel - no lp gas detector, etc. Works great and since it is still dark outside, I will try and get a picture added later today.

rpkeida

Alaska Wilderness
Greetings - We live in Willow, about 70 miles north of Anchorage (way out in the woods with the moose and the bears). Will try the pics again - brand new lap top with Windows 7 which works great, but am still getting my Nikon photo software installed to manage my didgital photos. Hopefully you will get them today. Take care.

pegmikef

It depends on how fancy you want it and how often you have to access it. I used a simple one from tractor supply (about 5 bucks) that goes on the positive terminal of your battery. The down side is that you have to remove the top of your battery box to access it, but for me, that is no big deal because I only access it 3 or 4 times a year. It works great. Oh yeah, I wired my tongue jack on the other side of the switch so I can raise and lower the TT without having to access the switch.

rpkeida

Alaska Wilderness
patrick1945, finaly got the pictures loaded. The first one is looking in the large storage bin, on the forward wall partition between the battery compartment and the storage bin. The red key is held in the "on" position by a locking spring, and the key can be removed when it is "off". The second picture is looking at the aft wall of the battery compartment at the same wall - just the back s038.jpgide of the switch. I installed the switch on the + battery lead just for ease of installation. Hope this helps. 039.jpg

DXprowler

That's the type of switch I used (rpkeida post) but mounted it on the right support of the hydraulic pump shelf. Used a hole saw and made a positive connection. You can get these switches off eBay cheap.

zimms

I'm new to these forums and just purchased my first rv. I've got a 2011 rushmore, isn't there already a battery disconnect on the newer Heartland rvs? thanks

Manzan

We have a 2011 North Trail 21FBS and I mounted a switch like the one JohnDar used. Made a plate to fit between my batteries, primed and sprayed with a glossy anti rust paint. Looks great and works! Like pegmikef, tongue jack is wired on the other side so can use it any time.