AC air flow problem SOLVED

WSGraffius

AC a\Air Flow Problem Solving

Thanks to all for your posts on this topic, I've taken my unit back to the dealer today for a warranty repair of the problems with my ac. From your posts I spent the weekend inspecting my duct openings, ac unit housing and main duct trunks and found some interesting items that might help you cure some of your problems. First, when I took down the grilles on my duct outlets I found the space between the ceiling and duct trunk was sealed with foil tape, applied in a vertical fashion, the tape ends had curled up from the duct board and virtually sealed off most of the airflow from my seven vents. I pressed this back down and proceeded to check my duct trunks. With the vents removed I inserted a small flashlight upstream from one opening and shined the light back downstream. Then I inserted my digital camera lens and captured the internal views of the trunk to inspect for collapse or shoddy craftsmanship, none found here. My last plan of action was to inspect the ac unit housing where I found several problems. The door-side supply trunk was 50% blocked by insulated tape (1/" thick) and there was a hole that crossed over from the supply air to the return air side which probably returns any supply air back to the ac unit. In addition the roof membrane was cut to leave excess for sealing but was never secured to the side walls and probably cut the supply another 5-10%. The street-side of the unit was better but contained the same issues but on a smaller scale.

My dealer was interested in the B/W copies of my pictures and eager to make this right. We'll see how he does before I try the “tent trick” .

I've placed some pictures on here (I think) in order for you to understand my verbage.

Attachments

• 0357a_Vent3 Tape Curl.jpg
    0357a_Vent3 Tape Curl.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 560
  • 0359a_Vent3 to 2 Duct.jpg
    0359a_Vent3 to 2 Duct.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 542
  • 0353a_Trunk-Curbside Sup-into-Rtn.jpg
    0353a_Trunk-Curbside Sup-into-Rtn.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 538
  • 0348a_AC Outlet Curbside from unit.jpg
    0348a_AC Outlet Curbside from unit.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 520

caokgafamily

I'm a owner of a 07 3400 RL, we have had it for about 6mo and been out about 8 times. No major problems,we love our 5th wheel. We are heading down to Topsail Fl for the 4th July. It gets pretty hot down there. I have noticed I wish the AC would work a little better. I have read all the post and I feel I have a good idea. Everybody is correct about the bathroom vent,my wife say's" her high beams come on when in the bathroom" I only have a single 15k ac unit. I spent about 2.5 hours retaping everything and also putting in the TIMK mod? tent? Just a Question I think we might be missing something. How important is that we do not have any leaks from the cool side (plenum box) to the intake side? My ac had all kind of gaps!!! I spent most of the time taping everything off, the mod diverter was easy.Results.... The biggest improvement was the quietness!! I made my tent diverter so that the quick cool could still work.Now with the quick cool open, I think it is as quiet as before the mod with quick cool closed.
I did kill the bathroom vent. There is more air coming out of the other vents. I'd say its about 30% more?

Last edited:

WSGraffius

AC air Flow problem SOLVED

Anything that is allowing air from the supply side to the return side of your ac box is not good. The whole point is to push the supply air out through the duct work and return it thru the filter into the unit.
Once mine returns fro the dealer I have several options available:
1) Check the warranty work that was done
2) Check clearance of my ac unit grille to determine if the supply air is separated from the return side of the unit.
3) Fabricate a temporary tent with cardboard to determine it's effectiveness.
4) Check to see if I can recirculate some of the cool air back into the space via the supply air as opposed to cooling 100% of new supply air.
5) Purchase a second a/c for the bedroom to run when the outside air temp (OAT) is too hot. Second option is it can serve as a back-up unit. Being in the south this isn't a bad idea.

When my unit failed a second time, a few weeks ago while we were on the Gulf Coast, the OAT was 95f+ w/605+ humidity. the unit iced over several times and curtailed our leaving the unit for extended periods of time (over 4 hrs) as the Misses worried about her "fur children" so she went shopping and I spent some time with the fellas sipping some cool beverages. When I felt it warming in the RV I just switched off the a/c, left the fan on and we all took a walk while it defrosted. I managed to keep the interior 15 or so degrees cooler than the OAT.

ChopperBill

Guess I am going to ask this lethal question. Why is the factory after all this time still sending out such sloppy A/C installs? :confused:

WSGraffius

AC air flow problem solved

ChopperBill your request has been fulfilled, see ASK THE FACTORY, under Big Country Section. New to this site so not sure if the factory guys will post their response there or not.

seabee

Today we took our 08 back to the shop as the said the air was fixed and in a way they were right the sensor was not installed from the factory and we had iceing up but we stayed the weekend at the KOA not far from them and the temp was hot and the air wouldn't cool it down wife was hot also, so today as I was saying we took it in and we had figured out that something was going on with the thermostat so the tech took it off and the green bar the all the wires hook to was never fixed to the printed board and Heartland needs to put something in the wall where the thermostat is,when the door was shut the compressor stooped working that was why it would;t cool.
Hope this makes since well anyway the next fix is installing the tent in the AC to improve the flow.
Hope no one else has the problem but if they do take a look at the thermostat.
2008 BH 3670RL
seabee

seabee

Cool now!

We are in Leadville Co and the temp is 45 this morning and guess what the furnace won't come on but I will after my Coffee get it fixed I have to find the wiring diagram as its either that or he didn't get the wire connected good or a breaker just need to drink coffee and not think to hard yet,but I will be changing it out and doing the mods on the air as we are going to be here till end of August again thanks for you help ChopperBill:cool:

Tom of Ypsi

My air went out today and it was low to mid 90's and humid. It wanted to start up but does not kick over. My guess is I may have low voltage, on a 30 amp and it tripped two days ago, maintenance supposedly fixed it then. Tripped again yesterday with same results. This morning it would not start. Bedroom air is working and I cannot get in to have the coach looked at until July 19. Weather is suppose to cool down, thank GOD.

jpmorgan37

Tom;
If you are hooked to a 30 Amp supply, it won't support two A/c's. You will end up burning up the receptical or breaker or both if the breaker doesn't trip in time.

Tom of Ypsi

John,
We only had one air conditioner running at a time. Used the bedroom one at night and the living area during the day. Checked the voltage today and it is reading 117 to 120 on the meter so the low voltage theory is out the window. Another guy told me to get some type of spray, name slips me for the moment, and go on the roof and spray the fan blade shaft. He had a similar problem earlier this year and the spray fixed his problem. Worth a try and better than paying the labor costs at Camping World.

Im wondering here,I purchased a Big Country 3500 RL.

I have none existent air flow out of all vents except two over the Kitchen.

Two other RV's I have owned Had Coleman Ac's,Never ever did I have air flow Issues whatsoever with the Colemans.

Just an Idea here but why have to Modify Duo Therm ac's to make them Work they way they should have worked to start with.

Im very unsatisfied with Non Existent Air flow,I mean none what so ever Upsatirs, and none at the back.

Two vents only that Tee off the Main Line of Ducts are the only ones with any air flow.

The part I find most Unsatisfactory is the Factory Itself.

I mean do these People not do oany Checks before these rigs leave the Factory.

Not a Lot of work Involved to hook it to electricity and check what you just Installed is it?

Anyway Im sure with the Problems I have already had with my dealer a Month after I purchased it Ill be resolving all the Issues Myself.

Sad when You think about it,almost $***** Fifth Wheel Rv and a month later its nothing But a Thorn in my side.

Come on Heartland where is your Quality Control ?????

Guess im venting here but Geez , I sure would have thought these RV"S would be better than this.

**NOTE FROM ADMIN**
Doug, I deleted the price you paid for you RV in this post as it is a Terms of Service violation. Please read more about the rules here.
Specifically, rule 11. Then more about why no pricing here.

Last edited by a moderator:

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
air flow

2006 Bighorn 3055RL

doug, definitely feel and have felt your pain. I had very poor air flow and did the TimK trick and that helped alot but not enough if it was real hot. I finally bit the bullet and put the 2nd a/c on mine. Made all the difference in the world. No more problems. 95+ temps with high humidity and I can keep the trailer in the upper 60's low 70's. I totally agree with you that the consumer should not have to deal with these issues, but I got tired of messing with it. My dealer told me from day one that I would need 2 a/c but I thought it was just a sales pitch. It worked.

this was just one of many issues we had. I have had my trailer for a year and a half now and finally am somewhat comfortable that I will not have any more problems. I love the trailer as far as the floorplan and some of the things they put in them. Quality Control, however, is non-existent with this company. Truth hurts.

I found out about this forum after I bought mine. Had I found it first, I would not have purchased Heartland. Sorry for all your troubles.

GaryB

Does anybody know if the factory has made any effort to implement a fix similar to TimK's "tent in vent" modification? Doesn't sound like it.

Thanks!

seabee

We had problems with our 3670RL's AC had two places look at it and the third dealer fixed it.
We have seen the tent diverter that timk has out in and though it a real good idea but we had and appointment to get it fixed .
They found the unit to be lose and the duct needed to be sealed better and the duct that runs to the rear runs over the cabinets they blocked it off just before it go's over the cabinets just them doing that really made it work great and we are going to do the diverter but we have stayed cool now in temps of 90deg

I apologize if you get this more than once, but I'm still learning this stuff. That was good information, I will try the fix tomorrow. Makes a lot of sense.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I never did install the tent in the vent, I did put in a second unit however. I have been getting the horn ready to move next week to have the suspension checked out, and tell you what, it is only 95 today and the main unit will not keep up. I do have a long run to my 30a box, but not that long. Thanks for the post timk, I will mess with it tomorrow in the cool of the morning.

Tankie

Uncle Rog, was your 3600RL preped for second A/C? We elected for the fan and was wondering if a 2nd a/c could be installed? We have very little airflow and the thing runs all nite and it is cooler outside! Thanks

SmokeyBare

For those who feel they need a little more A/C in their RV's... Here is an article posted in a blog... about his research and decision to go with a portable A/C unit he purchased from Home Depot. The Link:

http://firedude.thefiredude.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=799&Itemid=60

He notes that this portable unit draws lower current than a Roof top A/C will... by using this type of A/C... both the Main A/C can run as well as this Portable unit... on a 30 Amp RV. The only down side he notes... is a required 4 inch hose that will need to run to the outside... which he did through a window.

Do a search on Home Depot or Lowe's... or your favorite appliance center... check out what is being offered.