AC condensate is dripping inside the trailer

Bobby A

I'm still in Fl. and the a/c runs from day till night now days. I get a small water leak coming from the a/c unit that drips ever so slightly on my island. I thought I read in a trailer life magazine a while back about sometimes the a/c gets loose from traveling and needs to be tightened up from the inside. Can someone tell me how and what bolts to tighten up to see if this will correct my issue. I think I should try this before replacing the seal. Thanks very much,

jnbhobe

Re: a/c/ leaking into trailer

Bobby, pull the 4 screws on the cover inside the trailer (2 under the white caps and 2 under the filter) Then you will see 4 1/4 x 20 bolts with 3/8 hex heads, you need to tighten them till the gasket is compressed about 60%. I have pulled my AC off the roof 6 or 7 times to get my rig in storage and never had a leak.

Garypowell

Every so often with the right temperatures and air current patterns I get a drip or two. I realize this is probably not "right" but figure that it is just the system sweating. Granted you need to do what Jon suggests and see if you have a seal problem....but if the drips are only every so often it is probably just sweating.

Bobby A

Thanks Jon and Gary,
I will work on it tomorrow and tighten a bit, not sure how much to tighten though to get the 60% you speak of Jon, I guess I will give each one a couple turns ?? Mine is exactly like yours Gary, sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't.

jnbhobe

The gasket is about an inch and a quater thick so I think you can crank away

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

donr827

If tightened the bolts do not work, look at the drip pan in the a/c. Mine clogged up on one of my trailers and caused a drip inside the trailer but my drips were worst then what you described.Don

Bobby A

Thanks Jon and Don, I didn't get to it today but will try to make an attempt to get to it tomorrow. The funny thing, it did not drip today, go figure !! It seems to do it when its really hot and humid and the a/c runs non stop all day.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders

We were on the Texas coast (Goose Island State Park) and needless to say the humidity was darn close to 100%....our AC was doing some serious dripping onto the counter (and it was constantly running). That was the first year we had the Bighorn. Since then I purchased some chemical crystal dehumidifiers and we haven't had a situation like that since (we go to the Texas coast every July). I think the drain could not keep up with the amount of moisture that was condensing onto the unit so it was dripping onto the inside cover and then spilling out onto the counter.

jimtoo

Also,,, make sure your foam filter is clean. Any restriction of air flow in high humidity will allow the fins to condense more water, or more than will be blown on through to the drain area.

Rickhansen

Have you pulled your exterior shroud off the A/C and cleaned out the drain pan and weep holes? They do fill up with some nasty crud.

azbigfoot

Anybody with the whisper quiet A/C experience this issue?? I'd hate to see a ceiling get stained with water.

Bobby A

Have you pulled your exterior shroud off the A/C and cleaned out the drain pan and weep holes? They do fill up with some nasty crud.

No, I have never taken the shroud off, we very seldom camp under tree's where anything could accumulate however I will remove the shroud and take a look see, thanks for the idea.

jbeletti

No, I have never taken the shroud off, we very seldom camp under tree's where anything could accumulate however I will remove the shroud and take a look see, thanks for the idea.

Bobby - you may be surprised at what can clog up condensate drains, pans, lines (insects, mold etc.). Be careful but go ahead and give the AC an inspection "under the hood" and be sure to turn the breaker off for both ACs if not just turn on the 50 amp breaker at the pedestal.

Lou_and_Bette

Just one other thought on the subject...when we first started using or rig, we were parked in Gulf Shores and running the AC a lot...high temps and high humidity. AC was dripping but not a leak, condensation was forming on the inside surface. Found that DW was leaving the window open "for the breeze" and this was allowing a lot of humid air in the rig which was reacting with the cool AC vent and forming the condensation. Now, rig is closed up tight when AC is on and no more condensation.

Bobby A

Bobby - you may be surprised at what can clog up condensate drains, pans, lines (insects, mold etc.). Be careful but go ahead and give the AC an inspection "under the hood" and be sure to turn the breaker off for both ACs if not just turn on the 50 amp breaker at the pedestal.

O.k. thanks for the tip Jim, as I said I have never taken a shroud off, so where are these weep holes located in the pan as Rick mentioned ?? are they easily spotted and what should I use to clean the pan if it is all messed up ?? Like a mixture of bleach and water ?? Thanks

whp4262

The A/C units in my class A used to start dripping occasionally and I would have to go up on the roof, pull the shroud off and clean the drain pan and drain holes. It gets plugged up with dust and dirt over time. After it was cleaned the A/C wouldn't drip.

azbigfoot

I think there are two sets of weep holes. The pan attached to the shroud cover would have holes that let the water drip onto the roof and the runoff to the gutters. The second area is actually a different pan directly below the coils which the fans blow over. This is enclosed and would require you to take off the metal back cover of the A/C unit to expose the coils. Below the coils there is a plastic pan that collects the water and then two plastic downspouts (left/right) which drop the water into the shroud pan. So far I haven't had any problems with water backup. I found this out when I opened the A/C and did a little repair on taping some of the small openings which weren't covered very well. I was getting smells inside the rig and thought it might sewer gas leaking into the A/C openings.

This leads back to my original question for Landmark owners who have the Whisper Quiet A/C system. It's a pretty simple system but I can see if the plastic pan inside the unit got plugged up it would spill inside the rig. Problem is you wouldn't ever see it until it became a stain in the ceiling of your bedroom or living room. Has this happened to anyone yet?

jbeletti

O.k. thanks for the tip Jim, as I said I have never taken a shroud off, so where are these weep holes located in the pan as Rick mentioned ?? are they easily spotted and what should I use to clean the pan if it is all messed up ?? Like a mixture of bleach and water ?? Thanks

No ideas on the cleanup Bobby. Go on the roof today with a phillips screwdriver and a camera. Remove the shroud, inspect, take pictures of anything that looks odd, like cruddy buildup, button it all back up and prepare for another run at it for cleaning later.

If that's your issue at all. Circle back here tomorrow with your results my friend :)

whp4262

The shroud is easy once you look at it, just a few screws. I just used a garden hose and sprayer and shop air to clean mine, put a towel or something under the vent inside the coach to catch any overspray. I don't think I would use bleach unless I knew that it wouldn't hurt the paint or decals when it runs off the roof. You will probably have to take the metal cover off over the coil to get to the drain pan under the coils, this is usually the one that causes problems. It's not hard to do though and once you've done it the next time will be easier. Just make sure you dont have power running to the A/C while you are cleaning it.

Bobby A

The shroud is easy once you look at it, just a few screws. I just used a garden hose and sprayer and shop air to clean mine, put a towel or something under the vent inside the coach to catch any overspray. I don't think I would use bleach unless I knew that it wouldn't hurt the paint or decals when it runs off the roof. You will probably have to take the metal cover off over the coil to get to the drain pan under the coils, this is usually the one that causes problems. It's not hard to do though and once you've done it the next time will be easier. Just make sure you dont have power running to the A/C while you are cleaning it.

O.k. thanks Jim and Whp4262, its been raining like crazy the last 2 days hear in Fl. I will post back when I'm able to get to it, thank you all for the info.