Ac thermostat control box burned up

I stay in my rv when i work out of town witch is all the time. I have a 2018 prowler lx32 bought new in june. Got off work today Ac was off, trailer smelled like burnt wires. Thermostat displaying code E1. Demetic unit 59516. Upon inspection found control box for thermostat burned up and melted the board inside. What would cause this? I can get a new box for around 100 bucks but is that all my issues? If i take it in for warranty work and all they replace is that box then i am paying for a motel for a week witch is 400 bucks so i am trying to decide what is most economical.

Fox

Under those circumstances I'd replace the t'stat, keep the old one and your receipt. Then file a claim; maybe they'll reimburse you for it.

One other point ... are you protecting this rigs electrical system with an EMS? If not you should strongly consider one, it's well worth the piece of mind; don't be misled by cheaper surge protectors.

Progressive Industries EMS systems -
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/

jbeletti

I had something in the AC control box burn up in my rearmost (of 3) AC units. Looked like maybe one of the capacitors. Wiring insulation was also charred. I had the entire AC unit replaced.

I suggest you call a mobile servicer in your area that is Dometic certified. Let them decide what to do. They will work out the warranty details with Dometic. You'd pay the mobile service fee.

wdk450

I think that a fuse needs to be added to the thermostat wiring. Dometic should get on this before they get burnt trailer (or worse) lawsuits.

jbeletti

I think that a fuse needs to be added to the thermostat wiring. Dometic should get on this before they get burnt trailer (or worse) lawsuits.

Bill - if my sense of this is right, I think the OP is speaking of the electrical box that houses the AC control board up in the rooftop unit. Using my situation as an example, it was very unlikely that the thermostat wiring (+/-/data) was the culprit. My sense is that it was on the AC (alternating current) side of the wiring inside the box).

wdk450

Jim:
Yeah, I have never before heard of thermostat control wiring pulling much current, but I went with the wording the OP used. The 12 volt DC control circuit had a fuse on it in the fusepanels (other posters have posted about no temperature control, cause eventually being found as blown 12 volt fuse). But a lot of things have started to change in the wiring, etc. since my rig was made. General assumption made was that if anything electrical is burning up, something needs to be fused.