Actual Average Speed Travelled

SilverRhino

When you use Google or Goodsam Trip Planner they will give you total mileage and totall drive time. These times are calculated based on speed limits of the roads on the route.

We keep a daily log that shows starting point, mileage, engine hours and time. The data is filled in when we depart for the day and then when we stop for the night. Driving at approximately 62 mph, we end up averaging 55 to 57 actual miles per hour of travel, so I always divide the total mileage by 55 to get a realistic idea of how long we will be driving on a particular day.

I was just wondering what others actually average when travelling on a normal route where you are not doing a lot of stops for sight seeing etc.

Travel Safe!

Greengas

I'm at about where you are. We drive at approx 62mph so actual miles traveled runs between 55 to 60 depending on traffic, etc. I know I could go faster but why rush.

jbeletti

We average about 50 miles per hour of travel across the day. This includes 1 lunch/fuel combo stop (about an hour) and 2 to 3 potty stops.

So for us, total miles to travel divided by 50 gives me how many hours we'll be traveling for the day. It's a real close number for us.

Westwind

I've never thought about tracking the trip in this fashion, I use google/maps to map out our trip and sort of stayed away from Good Sam's Trip Planner because the address planning was always to general for me, where google you could put in the actual address for more accurate planning. I'm a little paranoid about fuel stops and if I'm not able to locate a truck stop I've usually done my home work with Google Maps to scope out a stop according to the mileage traveled. But now you have me thinking!

MCTalley

I log every mile we pull the trailer, but don't keep statistics to that level (hmm, a new thing to track). We run 65, generally, and make enough lunch and potty/stretch stops that we probably average about 58-60 overall. I generally use miles divided by 60 and add a half hour or so for lunch, so a 350 mile day is generally about 6 1/2 hours.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We average about 50 miles per hour of travel across the day. This includes 1 lunch/fuel combo stop (about an hour) and 2 to 3 potty stops.

So for us, total miles to travel divided by 50 gives me how many hours we'll be traveling for the day. It's a real close number for us.

We average 50-55 mile traveled/hour as well. I use the map apps and my gps to determine distances, but we rarely use the exact directions, then divide by 50 to calculate time to reach that destination. I figure that should cover our route deviation and rest stops.
We also track miles/day (total, we don't differentiate between towing vs not towing), fuel gallons, mpg, $/mile.
BTW- I avoid interstate highways unless it's the only or most logical course of travel. If you want to see the "real" America, take the roads less traveled!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
A number of the GPS devices out there will keep track of these items for you. The Rand Mcnally will also track fuel usage but you have to enter the data. It is amazing to see at the end of a multi day trip how slow you may have traveled.

whp4262

I log every mile we pull the trailer, but don't keep statistics to that level (hmm, a new thing to track). We run 65, generally, and make enough lunch and potty/stretch stops that we probably average about 58-60 overall. I generally use miles divided by 60 and add a half hour or so for lunch, so a 350 mile day is generally about 6 1/2 hours.

I have a Good Sam GPS and it has some nice features for finding stuff like travel centers etc. Another thing I use that works really well is an app on my iPhone called gas buddy. Its a free app and has a feature "Find Gas Near Me" that lets you quickly locate fuel. It also gives the current price at the pump.

Gaffer

We drive about 60 mph. With stops 50 mph is about the right average. Ez to figure too. 200 miles takes 4 hours. 300 takes 6 hours etc.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
All of this record keeping and GPS entry seems like to much work!

Aren't we supposed to be relaxing when out in our RV's? :confused: :p

whp4262

All of this record keeping and GPS entry seems like to much work!

Aren't we supposed to be relaxing when out in our RV's? :confused: :p

True but the pilot side of me needs some buttons to push on some gadget or it just ain't right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchwood

No one is paying me so much per mile so don't really care about mpg or miles per day.All I know is we
like to depart by 800hrs and arrive at our destination by 1600hrs.Its an extravagant lifestyle and if you have to calculate your costs you probably shouldn't be
doing it.

SilverRhino

No one is paying me so much per mile so don't really care about mpg or miles per day.All I know is we
like to depart by 800hrs and arrive at our destination by 1600hrs.Its an extravagant lifestyle and if you have to calculate your costs you probably shouldn't be
doing it.

Don't need to calculate costs..... Just like to know what we are spending. I keep the trip record for total miles on the trailer and miles since whatever service was done and to use for planning. We have always needed to carefully plan to get the most out of limited time for our trips.....but this October we will both be retired so travel times will lose the majority of their importance.

Keeping track of mileage is not a lot of work, just something I like to do. Now if you want to talk about detailed records......the Scan Gauge keeps track of the "Big Cat" under the hood for me!

Thanks for all the responses...... from the answers sounds like we are travelling at the same rate as most.

Geodude

When we do our trip planning and lay out our nightly stops we presume an average speed of 80 km/h (50 mph), and that in our experience is a pretty accurate planning number that accounts for fuel and food stops. When in motion we tend to run at 100-105 km/h (I think that's 62-65 mph).

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Kenny does 70 miles per hour with no stops till the fuel starts to run out and then we are in for the night . We have about 60 gallons of fuel and he fills up at each stop so everybody has to do their business for the day.

SilverRhino

Kenny does 70 miles per hour with no stops till the fuel starts to run out and then we are in for the night . We have about 60 gallons of fuel and he fills up at each stop so everybody has to do their business for the day.

Just told the wife about this post, her comment was "How much fuel can we carry?" When I told her 200 gallons ( Range of over 2000 miles ) she just rolled her eyes and said "No way!" :D

jayc

Legendary Member
Like many others, we drive at 62-64 mph but stop every couple of hours for comfort. I find when we stop that often and I can stretch my legs, I feel better at the end of the day. It works out to be about a 50 mph average, which works for us. We try to not drive over 300 miles a day but sometimes it happens and we don't sweat it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Most of our camping trips are within 200-250 miles from home, but we like to do one big trip each year.

I like to keep the speed at 65 mph or less . . . and stop every 2-3 hours to stretch and let the cats use the pan!

We have a 36 gallon gas tank in the truck, so that gives us about 350-400 miles per tank, depending on the wind or the hills.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The "grey ghost" holds 70 gals of fuel. At 62-64 MPH we average 11 MPG. Which means we can travel 770 miles...NOT. We do make potty stops for DW and the hound. Dont know who is worse the hound or DW. The hound licks my ear and Patty just fusses.